Re: Which Philosopher to trust? Early or later works?

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
      I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Some philosophers'
      early works were their best, and other philosophers' later works were
      their best.

      Also it is not something that you can learn from others – you have to
      read the works and decide for yourself.

      If you are going to study a particular philosopher in depth, then
      you're probably best off reading their major works in chronological
      order, as their later works often criticise, explicitly or
      implicitly, their earlier ideas.

      If you are going to just read one work from a particular philosopher,
      you're probably best off picking their "most famous" work. It is less
      likely to be a dud.

      Younger writers often have more intellectual sharpness and
      originality, older writers have more experience of life, so,
      hopefully, more wisdom.

      Jim

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dasein512" <gghumanistic@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been thinking about philosophers in general - for instance
      Karl