Boiling down Bill

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      Jim, You and I have apparently lived through very different
      indoctrinations. The military exposed me to what I considered
      torture techniques. I refused to practice the lessons but burying
      people alive and beating a steel drum with humans inside seemed to
      cross the line for me. These guys wore no rank or ID so I cannot say
      the government exposed me to such actions.
      As to being "green" the closest I come is on St. Patricks Day. For
      me being green requires a kind of faith and I do not do faith. I
      spend a good deal of time looking into science but think our current
      engineering abilities need be upgraded not scrapped.
      I am political because I am involved in business. Like you I dislike
      both but pay my dues in order to eat.
      As you probably note I dislike idealism as to me it only distorts
      analysis of situations. Idealists who write as well as yourself are
      a particular foil for me. You make me think and I thank you. I think
      we must live for ourselves or no one will. That takes me to adopt a
      square jawed individualism which I connect directly with
      existentialism. For me the problem is to oppose the people who debase
      my freedom and ability to make me and my world better. At some acute
      tangent we seem to have common purpose in that endeavour.
      We have apparently been taught so that different things and
      situations make us happy and whole. For me this existance is often a
      hard slog and I spend a great deal of time opposing forces much
      greater than my puny self. So have an ozone filled day it won`t
      bother you that much longer. Bill
    • jimstuart46
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
        Bill,

        I like your straight-talking approach, and it is good for me to have
        a contributor to this forum who vigorously opposes my ideas. That
        way I am forced to keep asking myself: Am I talking nonsense here?

        As you say, our backgrounds and life experiences are very different,
        and for this reason some of our current attitudes and beliefs are
        very different.

        Jim