RE: [existlist] The jackals of the 21st century

  • Ryan Dewald
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 1, 2001
      Warren,

      Hospice chaplain is a job not many people are suited for. I have the utmost
      respect for your work.

      I agree with your characterization that existential hope is maybe less
      immediately comforting but closer to the truth and I will take your word for
      it under a humanist regime. A very good way of putting it I think.

      -Ryan

      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 6, 2001
        Eduard, Should Garcin be concerned that history labels him as a coward---No.
        If the context of the play is to be accepted he is already dead and
        therefore has no consciousness or concern. If I were dead I would not be
        concerned and I, again have no idea if Sartre was trying to say something
        about afterlife or guilt therein. As to your comment about exist as a
        tool, I would say it is a tool that few have used and like a level may be
        necessary to complete a modern philosophy. {Mixing a few metaphores ] I
        think it gives us license to think as individuals. Today that is not seen as
        such a necessary relief from prohibition but we have all exercised the
        freedom and to my knowledge only bookdoc has been burned at the stake.
        Where is he anyway? Bill