They're keeping it alive

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      "To resist the sheeplife our supposed masters plan for us, we must
      enter the wilderness, both inner and outer, and search for knowledge.
      Unless we have a hankering for desolate places, this need not be
      literal. We do not quest for an actual wilderness, but the spirit the
      wilderness represents: we must seek the margins, both of society and
      of our minds. We must reject comfort, and seek out a wild, free,
      unfettered life. We must get out into the world away from that which
      is familiar, and fall into chance meetings with bikers and
      businessmen, with soldiers and protesters and hobo-saints. We must be
      open to them and the tales of their days, for in doing so we explore
      the outer reaches of our very selves. Of course, this is not without
      risk. Dragons have always lurked in the blank parts of the map. But
      even aside from the dangers out on the road, we face the fear of
      those we leave behind, those grown fat and dull on their ruminant
      lives. The common slur is of insanity, but what do we care for such
      pettiness? Hemingway had it right: we will `face eternity, or the
      lack of it, each day'. Madness, in the sense of an apartness from
      society bringing a lack of regard for its petty rules, has always
      been entwined with the search for enlightenment. What do such trials
      matter compared to what we will gain? In shedding the certainties
      that bind us, we will be free to embrace the truth that we are
      transitory. Existence is fleeting. There was nothing before, and
      there will be nothing after. There is this, and this alone. Can we
      afford to squander our scant time here in deadening ourselves with
      the dark light of television, with intoxicants, with the corrosions
      of faith? Unthinkable. We must fling ourselves out, and glory in the
      wonders beyond our sight. This world will arc on, but for each of us
      the twilight comes, and it comes harder than we could ever imagine.
      We must not be unknowing. We must not go to the bolt-gun as the lamb
      bred for butchery. We must truly experience existence. At least then,
      when it comes, we'll take the shot knowing that we stood and screamed
      that for a while, we too were here."

      From "Unquiet Desperation"
      www.myspace.com/unquietdesperation