The Inner Life of the Individual

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2007
      Louise,

      Your welcome contributions have made me think that in my attempts to
      refute the natural born sociologists who think that the political
      infiltrates into every corner of human existence, I have conflated a
      distinction when talk about "the personal".

      I have written that the personal realm is that of family, friends
      and neighbours. Perhaps I should call this the personal-social or
      the personal-outer.

      By contrast, the existing human being has her inner world, and, as
      Kierkegaard argues, the inner is never exhausted by the outer.

      So over and above, the personal-social is the personal-inner – the
      inner life of the individual.

      I'm not sure if the existentialists who came after Kierkegaard had
      much to say about this. Certainly we don't hear much about it on
      this forum.

      Jim