Resistance is futile

  • maryjo.malo
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
      Where do we go from here?

      Mary Jo

    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
        > Where do we go from here?
        > Mary Jo

        I'm thinkin' downhill.
        Wil

      • Mary Jo
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
          Probably true, but I don't see Existentialism as a defeatist philosophy.

          MJ

          I'm thinkin' downhill.
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
              Existentialism is what inheres when folks consider their life as real
              and ultimate. That will not mitigate the coming decline in world
              consciousness. Sadly.

              WS

              Probably true, but I don't see Existentialism as a
              defeatist philosophy.

              MJ

              I'm thinkin' downhill.

              from AOL at AOL.com.
              =0
            • Trinidad Cruz
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "maryjo.malo" <maryjo.malo@...> wrote:

                "Where do we go from here?"
                Mary Jo

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@>wrote:

                "To live this life is a long way to go."
                Bill

                I think what the ordinary American needs to realize and utterly accept
                is: that a corporate cartel has seized their better dreams away from
                them. Some of those dreams were worthless, some were not. Where ethics
                for the future lie with the ordinary man is in determining which
                dreams had human value. Resistance is futile in the sense that the
                progress of these dream-slayers can never be checked. The facts of the
                ordinary American's life have already changed, and there is no going
                back. No amount of resistance can deter the agenda; because it is
                already established, the situation exists; and in fact all that is
                going on is the cleaning up of minor details, and the lingering
                anticipation of a future dalliance with science dedicated to
                de-populating the world. In this sense resistance is futile.
                Resistance has become a matter of individual judgment, a matter in
                which the individual ordinary man has to answer only to himself. The
                world, the human species, no longer belong to him; and they cannot be
                won back in battle. His only real possession is his sense of hoping to
                dignify his human dreams; the sense that lies in the indeterminate
                space of what he could think. In this kind of judgment, like Nietzche
                I say, lies the power of self-obviation, the power of giving over
                dreams, the power of vacating imagination, the power of disappearing
                from the human condition. What will you do then - when you can no
                longer judge yourself? I'll tell you - absolutely nothing that you are
                aware of. You are void. You are not there. You did it to yourself. You
                have that power. I have put myself in a position to judge myself. My
                faith, my belief, my name, lies in this alone. I will resist. I will
                not void myself. They may say, "He is dead!", or "He is doomed!" or,
                "His resistance is futile!", but they will never say, "He is void!".
                They cannot judge me. In my resistance I have freed them of that
                responsibility they seek to usurp of me. I have overthrown them in the
                instant of their act against me. I am what a man is for as long as I
                am a man; and what I could think can never be killed unless I give it
                up. I will not. When resistance is futile, when dissent cannot effect
                any ethical change, when organized violent revolution cannot overthrow
                oppression, we have come upon a real judgment day. The individual man
                who can still judge himself will. The rest are already void -
                disappearing debris alongside a trail of the evolution of a human
                being through the cosmos. Crimes against humanity may not be hidden
                under another name to set aside individual judgment as long as the
                individual man keeps the prize of judging himself. He has already
                judged the cosmos; and in that judgment found it wanting in terms of
                what he could think, terms of real human joy. He cannot then make
                peace with those who would rule the world and men in purely physical
                terms behind a mask of group justified degeneracy that has finally
                forsaken any hope in the value of what an individual man could think
                and fallen back to call the cosmos law in simple cowardice and turn it
                outward in a fearful frenzy of arrogance upon their better brothers.
                There is no road back that does not lead to the void for a man. The
                road is always forward into self-judgment. I will not peacefully
                surrender my prize, and no one can take it from me, but me. There is
                no God, but oh, there is goodness. You have thought of it. It is there
                - in you. There and here I stand. My lot is decided.

                Trinidad Cruz

                "I pity the poor immigrant
                Who wishes he would've stayed home,
                Who uses all his power to do evil
                But in the end is always left so alone.
                That man whom with his fingers cheats
                And who lies with every breath,
                Who passionately hates his life
                And likewise, fears his death.

                I pity the poor immigrant
                Whose strength is spent in vain,
                Whose heaven is like Ironsides,
                Whose tears are like rain,
                Who eats but is not satisfied,
                Who hears but does not see,
                Who falls in love with wealth itself
                And turns his back on me.

                I pity the poor immigrant
                Who tramples through the mud,
                Who fills his mouth with laughing
                And who builds his town with blood,
                Whose visions in the final end
                Must shatter like the glass.
                I pity the poor immigrant
                When his gladness comes to pass."

                (Bob Dylan)
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                  TC,

                  An era has suddenly closed. One would think that this means that
                  another has taken its place. But we are entering a phase of existence
                  without anything eral about it. It is a shadow time. A hollowed
                  nothingness without a prescribed subject, without a civil agent whose
                  civility is part of any real nurturing social context.

                  Run for your lives!

                  WS

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                    Perhaps the sense of "we" will return when more individuals are in the
                    same boat. As long as class is promoted by the media and most can still
                    consume for their identity, we'll be rowing against one another. There
                    will come a new era for ethical existentialism. That's my hope anyway.

                    MJ

                    A hollowed nothingness without a prescribed subject, without a civil
                    agent whose civility is part of any real nurturing social context.
                  • Susan Kalior
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2007
                      WS,
                      I feel the same way. Cycles do move round though, and sometimes people have
                      to get completely lost before they are found. Running deep beneath the conscious
                      mind is the flowing pulse of life itself, and when the outer world gets too broken,
                      and begins to crumble, the programmed self is cracked and sinks into the deeper
                      flow, and again becomes renewed. I really love the thoughts and insights running
                      in this group.
                      Sincerely, Susan

                      Susan D. Kalior, M.A.
                      Blue Wing Publications, Workshops, and Lectures
                      www.bluewingworkshops.com
                      The Other Side of God: The Eleven Gem Odyssey of Being
                      Warriors in the Mist (a medieval dark fantasy)

                      "Live the Mystery"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7, 2007
                        TC, your words are deeply moving. I have felt that way when I tried to stand
                        alone on a point of principle. It doesn't sound as bountifully beautiful as all
                        you have written, but just stopping public school uniforms from coming into
                        my community was one of the most trying things I ever did. I was all alone in
                        it. I wrote articles that were printed in the paper, and the town almost crucified
                        me with rebuttles and outright put downs of who I am and to go away. I just
                        wanted the individuality of each student to be embraced and encouraged
                        instead of giving the message that all should act and look and think the same.
                        The shocking thing is, that after I did a sociological survey in the county regarding
                        uniforms, versus peer mediation etc. the town actually abandoned the idea of
                        public uniforms. I just kept coming back like a bad penny. My last name had
                        a bad ring for quite some time and I was glad it was different from my childrens.
                        But I felt I had to hold onto that living breathing pulse that flowed beneath the
                        programmed world or I would be nothing. Your words touch me deeply. You
                        are a beautiful writer and express yourself with great intelligence and passion.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2007
                          "Cycles do move round though, and sometimes people have

                          to get completely lost before they are found."

                          Sometimes they just get lost.

                          WS

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                              Susan said, >>"However, nothing stays the same."

                              For change to be percieved it has to be contrasted against a changeless
                              background.

                              Sometimes I wonder if the laws of the Universe DO remain the same, and its
                              only mans awareness that is changing

                            • eupraxis@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                                > Sometimes I wonder if the laws of the Universe DO remain the same, and its
                                > only mans awareness that is changing

                                Neither, I would say.

                                WS

                              • Susan Kalior
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                                  In the perception of time and space, lost and found exist.
                                  Outside of time and space, can anything?
                                  Perhaps time and space are concepts that come from no time and no space?
                                  In that case, everything changes, yet nothing does.
                                  Perceptions of reality make the 'play' what it is. I agree with you Richard, man's
                                  changing awareness is a primary factor in sensing the concept of 'time.'
                                  Sincerely, Susan Kalior