Re: I35

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
      As Bill observed, this is construction season. Worse, I35 is blocked for several years in at
      least three places: 35 at 62, 35 at 95, and 35 at 280. This will be a nightmare scenario
      until 2013 according to the local news station I listen to in the mornings (WCCO 830).

      Minnesota is a "shrinking state" so they funded a lot of construction to keep big firms in
      the state. Losing population state-wide is taking a toll on the social structures. This is why
      immigrants are welcomed, replacing some of those leaving the state. Best Buy, Target, and
      3M all received sweetheart deals on taxes in the last two years in order to keep their corp
      offices in the Twin Cities region.

      As all here know -- I hate, hate, hate corporate welfare. That's money that is usually
      wasted. Studies show that private companies only beg for tax breaks for decisions they've
      already made. In other words, with or without a tax break, Best Buy wasn't likely to simply
      move 13,000 high-tech employees who run the Web site and IT operations. But, that tax
      break was a loss of money that would have funded transit. (Mom and pop stores didn't get
      tax waivers, which is why I get ticked.)

      Minnesota has its priorities so screwed up that it will take several more disasters to
      change things. The new light rail extension will cost more than $100 million per mile.
      That's absurd. Most of the cost is weather-proofing. Only four percent of TC residents
      take transit, mainly because -30F windchill is too dangerous to stand around in waiting for
      a bus or train. That means you need expensive, enclosed stations with park-n-ride
      options.

      I know last year Susan had to start picking me up on campus because I ended up with frost
      nip (purple skin, nasty rash) waiting for the bus. No way am I doing that ever again.

      I read we have the highest ration of single-person commuters. I can believe it. You seldom
      see two or more people sharing a car ride. Why? Because this place is a mess to navigate.
      It makes no sense to try to share a ride.

      Free will.... I plan to leave ASAP, right after I receive the title and papers from the
      university that will set me free.