I35

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      On Sunday we crossed the Mississippi on the I 35 bridge that fell.
      Already there are speculations as to why such a thing could happen.
      Why was an obviously deficient bridge allowed to remain open?
      The bridge is a substructure span with the load bearing steel
      tied togeather with the decking and roadway. Replacing the roadway
      while allowing traffic weight on the span seems to have overstressed
      the total structure. It appears jack hammers were used to remove the
      roadway and that increases the possibility of vibrational damage to
      the substructure.
      Already the trades are beginning to hint the desire to keep the
      bridge open overode saftey concerns and public saftey. A few hnndred
      million and a well orchestrated cover up will replace everything but
      those people who are at the bottom of the river.
      If there is to be a reasonable chance of finding out what actually
      happened Minnesota is a good place because of the hard nature of
      the people who choose to live in the cold. As they say in
      Minneapolis there is winter and then construction season. That is a
      short season and shortcuts seem to have caught up with progress.
      Whatever the reason a mighty city is crippled. Honeywell , 3m and
      many other defense related businesses will be disrupted. It is
      already August and the detours will remain for years. This is a very
      costly mis appropriation but the iron people of the North take the
      time to calculate what happned and who should move down south to
      milder climates. Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
          As Bill observed, this is construction season. Worse, I35 is blocked for several years in at
          least three places: 35 at 62, 35 at 95, and 35 at 280. This will be a nightmare scenario
          until 2013 according to the local news station I listen to in the mornings (WCCO 830).

          Minnesota is a "shrinking state" so they funded a lot of construction to keep big firms in
          the state. Losing population state-wide is taking a toll on the social structures. This is why
          immigrants are welcomed, replacing some of those leaving the state. Best Buy, Target, and
          3M all received sweetheart deals on taxes in the last two years in order to keep their corp
          offices in the Twin Cities region.

          As all here know -- I hate, hate, hate corporate welfare. That's money that is usually
          wasted. Studies show that private companies only beg for tax breaks for decisions they've
          already made. In other words, with or without a tax break, Best Buy wasn't likely to simply
          move 13,000 high-tech employees who run the Web site and IT operations. But, that tax
          break was a loss of money that would have funded transit. (Mom and pop stores didn't get
          tax waivers, which is why I get ticked.)

          Minnesota has its priorities so screwed up that it will take several more disasters to
          change things. The new light rail extension will cost more than $100 million per mile.
          That's absurd. Most of the cost is weather-proofing. Only four percent of TC residents
          take transit, mainly because -30F windchill is too dangerous to stand around in waiting for
          a bus or train. That means you need expensive, enclosed stations with park-n-ride
          options.

          I know last year Susan had to start picking me up on campus because I ended up with frost
          nip (purple skin, nasty rash) waiting for the bus. No way am I doing that ever again.

          I read we have the highest ration of single-person commuters. I can believe it. You seldom
          see two or more people sharing a car ride. Why? Because this place is a mess to navigate.
          It makes no sense to try to share a ride.

          Free will.... I plan to leave ASAP, right after I receive the title and papers from the
          university that will set me free.