bridge

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      The I35 bridge over the Missippi between Minneapolis and the
      University of Minnesota has collapsed during rush hour traffic. CSW
      currently has no internet connection, but perhaps any of his students
      who look at this list would inform that all is well?

      Trinidad
    • C. S. Wyatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Trinidad Cruz" <TriniCruz@...> wrote:

        > The I35 bridge over the Missippi between Minneapolis and the
        > University of Minnesota has collapsed during rush hour traffic. CSW
        > currently has no internet connection, but perhaps any of his students
        > who look at this list would inform that all is well?

        I am online as of Friday at 0430. Susan and I do not have our office set up yet, but I am
        using a laptop with a temporary cable across the bare subfloor.

        The collapse was about 15 minutes after my uncle and cousin crossed 35 to 55 on the way
        to our new house. They are well and plan to see the bridge later today. My uncle is
        carrying around a map, which he plans to take back to Alaska in order to show where he
        was and where the bridge failed.

        It is the bridge I used two to three times a week last year, and would be using every day of
        the work week this year. I have yet to plot a new course to my office on campus, which is
        across from the Dinkytown neighborhood.

        The collapse was about 1.5 miles from our house and the smoke was visible.

        The bridges here are in terrible condition, as are many of the buildings. The weather
        extremes are rough on all structures. Our home has a fair amount of weather damage and
        the walkway was replaced by the city after it buckled during the spring months.

        Let us hope the politicians here can get past the blame game and realize a $1 billion
        stadium for the Vikings is less important than $25 million per major bridge retrofit. Now,
        the bridge could cost $250 million to replace. Uhg. Priorities.

        - CSW
      • Trinidad Cruz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
          Good news that you and Susan are well. I am spoiled about bridges
          myself. I try not to think about their collapse. I have been on high
          rise back-ups in and around Chicago sometimes sitting there stopped
          for thirty minutes or more. In certain places bumper to bumper
          watching the trafic go by in the other lanes the bridge swaying two
          feet or more. The one thing about Chicago freeways is they are always
          under construction. It can be a real thrill ride occasionally. Glad
          you are well. I figured you used 35. I'm guessing you are now on the
          University side of the river?

          As long as Brett Favre continues to play I'll watch football. When he
          retires I will retire from watching it. Personally I hope the Vikings
          get sold to a prison league along with Mike Vick from Atlanta. They
          can throw in Barry Bonds too.

          Trinidad