Re: Trying an old habit / Re: membering an old habit

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2007
      Jaime, Louise,

      My brain works slowly these days and I also don't get much free time
      for thinking and writing, so this is a belated response to your
      posts (#41842 and 41843 respectively) of last Sunday.

      Jaime, you write:

      "Though not the only venue of dissent, the poet (artist) conjures a
      vision for the future, speaks for the voiceless, reminds of loftier
      goals lost in the harsh commerce of citizenry. A major challenge for
      the artist is the din of mainstream media, how to create and market
      in novel ways, to reach an eager audience. Existentialist activism
      stirs feelings and inspires action."

      I agree that the mainstream media make a din which makes it
      difficult for genuinely talented and innovative artists to be heard.

      When deciding whether to watch a film, buy a music CD, etc., I am
      more likely to opt for something released by an "independent"
      or "alternative" production or recording company. I tend to fear the
      worst when the producers and distributors are major labels or
      Hollywood companies.

      Louise, you write:

      "Bad laws may also harm majorities, a statement which finds me
      hovering between a groan and a smile. Collective human wishes may
      produce quite chaotic results. With regard to my own experience as
      an individual, I have sometimes struggled to be a good citizen
      because the form of my creativity is seen as abnormal, in some
      manner perilous or open to mockery. In western culture the result is
      a psychiatric diagnosis, which may have both a protective and
      inhibiting consequence for personal freedom."

      I appreciate that being a good citizen is not easy when expressing
      one's freedom and acting with integrity generates mockery and
      hostility.

      Unfortunately an all-too-common human trait is to act scornfully or
      aggressively towards the individual who stands out by being
      different. It starts in the school playground but many human beings
      don't grow out of it. Violence towards and even murder of gay men is
      a continuing blight on English society. Routine rudeness to the over-
      weight, ethnically different, eccentric and those of unconventional
      appearance is common place. The herd want you to be just like them,
      and don't like it if you are not.

      Existentialism with its emphasis on the individual's complete
      freedom of choice is naturally aligned with a positive attitude to
      diversity and tolerance. However John Stuart Mill's passionate
      endorsement of the eccentric in "On Liberty" inspires me more that
      the existentialist writers in this area.

      Jim