Re: Politics, Ethics, Philosophy

  • jaime.denada
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
      I agree with you in substance, but the United States of Corporate
      America make this impossible. Governments are owned by special
      interests and will always act on their behalf. As much as possible,
      individuals and communities should act in their own interests. This
      is a difficult enough challenge.

      Deconstructionism is the logical heir of existentialism because it
      exposes the aporia of political im/possibilities. Camus, Beckett,
      Sartre and others eventually grasped the absurdity of war but chose
      physical political involvement when they saw no other choice. How
      does one resist corporatism, theocracy, global warming, and terrorism?

      Individuals haven't replaced gods, governments have. They cause the
      wars they fight and then expect the innocent to forfeit everything.
      No matter which regime we live under, what remains possible are
      personal decisions, painful, awkward and poignant. Though governments
      fail to do so, people must continue to express the highest values,
      not the lowest disguised as the highest. The Media doesn't do this,
      but literature, film, music and art can.

      JD

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "C. S. Wyatt" <existlist1@...>
      wrote:

      Isolation starts to seem the least bad choice from a long list of bad
      choices. Not neutrality, but military isolation.
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
        JD,

        That seems to me to be a very a-political and a-historical response. Government doesn't necessarily have to mean corporate control.

        Deconstruction doesn't do anything if it doesn't make you want to intercede in your own behalf. That is why I had characterized it as a "quietist" position some time ago.

        Put down the Derrida for a while (by the way, he was a member of the Communist Party for all of his adult life) and pick up something that empowers you. Have you read Marx, or even Voltaire?

        WS

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
          eupraxis@... wrote:
          > We do not need a military isolation. We need a foreign policy that doesn't earn us the contempt of those we "help".
          > Wil
          :) let's assume a country has taken on the role of more knowing parent
          than child (no comment how rightfully) to other nations. on the walls
          of some pediatrics offices: "Children learn what they live" (not what
          they are told). teaching better parenting skills works better for
          troubled children than months of counseling the children, to say nothing
          of punitive measures. parents getting their own lives in better shape
          increases the likelihood theirs will be used as a successful model.

          aija
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
            Aija,

            Sounds true enough, although in my own case I think I was self-taught to a large degree.

            But it would be the height of arrogance, even for an American, much less a New Yorker like me, to think that a country of hardly more than two centuries can be the "parent" to lands that I was taught in grade school were the cradle of civilization itself.

            Wil

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
              I have been following this fallacy ridden discussion with actually
              sadness. I'll address a few points.

              The term "parenting skills" is a joke in itself. It's natural. Either
              you have it, or you don't. It is something that is based in
              self-respect, regardless of any social, economic, or educational
              status. (Trivers)I had a rule of thumb raising my children; not to
              take any advice from anyone who did not come from a large family, and
              was not in the process of raising a large family. What the hell could
              anyone else possibly know. Discussions of family paradigms have no
              place in political discourse other than to indicate "blood is thicker
              than water." Soft science pablum. Blah blah.

              Jaime was on the right track to begin with. Regardless of the
              corporate situation we are in, in government today; it is a single
              conspiratorial effort that has put us here. Big oil opted some forty
              years ago to protect its interests by disallowing by any means
              necessary any attempts to end our dependency on oil. Our current
              situation in the world and at home is the result of that business
              plan. The Cold War, the Middle East situation, Israel, African
              politics, South American politics, are all the result of that course.
              And the fat is now definitely in the fire. We need now to make up
              forty wasted years in a big hurry. I know this to be true because I
              and some of my sisters were there at some of the lovely little
              conclaves where these things were cynically decided. This policy has
              never surprised me nor been any kind of news to me.

              Comments about Chavez are wasted on me. I have had personal
              experiences with CIA, and drug lord activities, in Central and South
              America. We have been continously on the wrong side because of big
              oil's agenda. It is because of this that it is difficult and dangerous
              beyond words to be an actual American patriot these days. Chavez needs
              all the military he can muster just to keep big oil operatives and the
              Russian mafia at bay, not to mention the Columbian drug interests.
              Putin is in the same situation. His support for Chavez will not
              waiver, and we would be idiots to believe that it will. That said. We
              are in the case of Chavez on the wrong side, led there by big oil and
              the media. The "School of the Americas" taught nobody nuthin'. We are
              also on the wrong side with the Russians. The nations of the Northern
              Hemisphere had better begin the preparation for conflict in all areas
              of the world with China. There is already considerable danger to our
              finacial system from China destined for unavoidable future conflicts.

              We have got to end our dependency on oil or face real war, not
              regional conflicts. Those are the political facts. Corporate
              communitarians like the Clintons are no better than the big oil
              Cheney-Bush bunch. It is all about oil; not that we need it, but
              rather that we shouldn't, and a bunch of rich families just wanted to
              continue making money on an obsolete commodity and didn't care whether
              or not they tortured the entire world to stay on top. Their ethics
              were gone two generations ago. Kick 'em all out. Nationalize the oil
              industry for the next sixteen years. Things will get better
              immediately. We don't have any more time to indulge this greed.

              Trinidad