Future wars

    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 3 12:47 PM
      I finished the mega posts by Trinidad and Jaimie, to reply point by
      point would require the rest of Indepandance day but they were fine
      posts and deserve some comments.
      I think Trinidad is evolving rapidly in his already broad
      perspective. When i first read him he could only be classed as a
      radical leftist atheist with anarchial tendancys and a good
      tolerance for fight and violence. That is what I liked about him and
      I was sure he would grow and flourish. His recently expressed respect
      for democracy shows how thoughtful he has become.
      Jaimie does us service as he sets out for the future. Optamism is
      a short commodity and when some brave soldier sticks his head up I
      take notice.
      I often get sucked into the newscast post but I think
      existentialism is a current philosophy and is served best from the
      cockpit. The trouble is you really cannot predict the future, it is
      just to multifactorial for analysis by the human mind. Now would a
      true mind reader be god? We have machines that do a better job of
      predicting future treds if not the future, Deus ex machina. Our old
      mentot, Eduard, posed a cyborg future that was purly repulsive at the
      time but it really cannot be ruled out. We need options even if they
      might seem low order probabilities.
      Jaimie reminds me of Nancy Reagan and Rodney King " Can`t we just
      stop fighting and just say no to all evil" I do not think we can
      completely avoid war. The military is trying to make it less lethal
      and that is a sea change in attitude which remains to be proved. I
      think we must continue competition as part of our evolutionary
      quest.Since I am probably more right leaning than most of you I will
      leap up and down and brandish my spiked club on request. You otta
      know where you came from. The real rightys take no quarter and will
      fight to the death of any fool they can talk into it. They are not
      the simplistic yahoos who raced around with Huey Long and George
      Wallace. They built themselves an acedemic base and dropped the
      public drawl. They revived the fighting nature of the confederacy and
      injected it into politics. They have dragged us back better than
      fifiy years and are damn proud they did. They will break any bond,
      disavow any contract, side with any foe and act more in the manner of
      a totalitarian marxist than leaders of a western democracy. I think
      Trini senses the chinque in their armour, while Jamie is still
      examining the process. You guys must get better over the counters
      than I can purchase. Energy dudes! Bill
    • Knott
      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 27, 2008
        > Interestingly, Knott thinks that my attitudes as expressed on this
        > forum are the attitudes that lead to "most fights and most wars". So
        > perhaps one way to make men less aggressive is to teach them the
        > sceptical and relativistic attitudes and beliefs that Knott holds.

        Perhaps the latter, but certainly the former. Wars are started because
        people have irrational notions of boundaries, beliefs that are good
        and bad, noble excursions, and that they alone have a key to truth.
        What I suggest is not attempting to make your psychosis someone
        else's, lest you fight for them, convince others to, or get ticked
        when someone tells you you've lost your marbles. Go look under the couch.

        If you believe in nothing, there really isn't much to fight for. It is
        belief that starts it.

        Warbling Caricature