Re: [existlist] My views Re: politics

  • Albert Dolley
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2007
      Trinidad,

      I don't necessarily believe anything. It's just that this might be part of the equation here. The weather is COLD, it snowed here last week, and this is unusual for this part of town...

      Kind Regards,
      A.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2007
        On Jul 02, 2007, at 9:37, Trinidad Cruz wrote:

        > suggestions. I happen to be certain I'm correct, and I have yet to see
        > any decent enough fact finding to dissuade me from my opinion.

        It is this line that bothers me: "certain... opinion." That's the
        same I hear from too many other people. They are "certain" of things,
        when I always argue a lack of certainty, and an endless curiosity.
        When too many people are "certain" of things, we end up in the mess
        we are in as a nation -- lots of certainty the other side is ignorant
        and not seeing the facts our side (whatever side) sees so clearly.

        I read an interview with Michael Moore in the Independent and he was
        asked about the documentary "Dead Meat" -- an expose of deaths,
        delays, and worse in Canadian health care. More said, "I don't care
        about your facts. I'll see what I need to see for my views when I
        know I am right. I don't need your truth when I have mine."

        That's where we've been taken over the last 30 years or so.

        Philosophy went the same way, with deep divisions and lots of talking
        past each other. Maybe a Rorty will try to bridge gaps, but they
        usually fails.

        I definitely trust information less and less, having close
        connections to the media. Knowing most information is rigged on one
        side or the other, I just assume I'll never be certain of much more
        than how cruel and vile humans can be to each other.

        > Since we are engaged in this with some animosity now

        Animosity because you indicate I either lied or tried or game you and
        because you said I am not familiar with much of America. I am
        increasingly defensive of my links to the "NASCAR" world of my
        family. I've had enough colleagues and professors insult the
        "uneducated" or "ignorant" of middle America. These people are not
        stupid, but they do have different types of knowledge and definitely
        different values than we find in urban areas.

        > encountered. Sure some activity comes to light, AFTER THE FACT. Taking
        > any comfort in this is putting one's head in the sand, not working for
        > reform and accountability.

        I lost faith in "reform" long ago. Reform too often gives the
        government/incumbent politicians more power, not less. Instead of
        reform, we could have leaders who actually take their
        responsibilities to hold each branch of government in check -- but
        that's unlikely when so many Senators dream of the White House or
        life-long incomes from lobbying.

        As for "after the fact," I think people curious enough knew what was
        happening as it happened. The problem is that larger society just
        doesn't seem to care until it is too late. People watch terrible
        things happen and rationalize these events. Death and destruction
        "there" do not affect me, so I'll do nothing. That's the sad reality
        of how people function and remain sane.

        Again, I admit that I think most people, maybe a slight majority but
        a majority nonetheless, are interested in their own welfare and that
        of their "tribe" (family, small town, whatever). A lot of
        psychological testing seems to support this. We work best in small
        groups, where because people know you and you know them, social order
        is easier to maintain.

        > Terrorism here is a matter best handled as an intelligence problem and
        > dealt with by law enforcement. Adventurist military engagement can
        > only fuel its fire, and in fact substantially impede meaningful
        > intelligence gathering.

        Never disagreed with this notion. I think creating Gitmo or engaging
        in rendition is absurd. It you want to shed light on terrorism, do so
        in public courts so everyone can hear the ideas at work.

        Secrecy breeds yet more cynicism -- especially when it isn't much of
        a secret. The more you deny something that can be proved, the more
        people lose faith in the government. But, once caught in a lie,
        politicians and children seem to add yet more layers of lies.

        > We are well on our way to spending enough money on this war; that we
        > could have given every single driver in this country a 50mpg Honda car
        > for nothing. At what point is absurdity criminal?

        For me, wars should never be measured by money or material goods. If
        it isn't a clear action of self-defense, then it isn't justifiable.
        Any amount of money to defend people is okay as long as the debate
        isn't gamed by others.

        Of course... most debates are gamed. Too many people think serious
        issues belong in a debating society.

        As I said, philosophy went this route and most people stopped paying
        much attention to philosophers.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.
      • Trinidad Cruz
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2007
          I'd like to tone this down, but I keep coming across arguments from
          you that seem not entirely rational to me, and find them surprising,
          at least as surprising as you find mine. I really don't relish playing
          the role in this discourse of citizen, but that is what seems to have
          happened. Perhaps you can explain for me how my certainty about an
          opinion I hold is threatening to you in any way - if I am a law
          abiding US citizen? Your arguments seem to indicate that you are less
          likely to be involved in any participation in the system than I. I
          wonder how then I can be characterized as in the wrong here? Certainly
          not as a citizen. Just for having an opinion I doubt will likely ever
          change? I take it as a responsibility of my citizenship in this
          country to be involved with the system, at least enough to pursue some
          fundamental reforms through my vote whether they come to pass or not.
          I will not surrender so lightly to an inactive cynicism concerning
          something as important as a constitutional democracy. I could not face
          my own children and say I allowed their future to be sold away without
          even voting, let alone voicing any dissent. Why allow yourself to be
          disenfranchised without a fight? This thing, this American experiment,
          is not so easy these days, but it is also not so easy to dismiss as
          worthless by not participating.

          You don't agree with me. So be it. It is within the framework of our
          laws here that we can safely disagree without slaughter. Debate is
          neither about games nor winning and losing. It is about informing of
          an opinion. Sometimes one side or the other gives in, but there are no
          rules here other than remaining law abiding. Democratic government is
          not a mystical process in any form. It is simply a group of opinions,
          and a consensus of laws. If that consensus is now being purchased away
          from general opinion by a minute faction of opinion we have a problem.
          We cannot make wealth a criteria of opinion without an equal
          consideration of the criteria of opinion of poverty. The rhetoric of
          opinion in this case does not matter, nor does any agreement, or
          disagreement; only the fact that wealth is actually in such a
          privileged position in the debate over consensus in our franchise. We
          need financial reforms in our political process to restore the
          efficaciousness of debate over consensus. Such reform need not be the
          denial of access to corporate money to public servants, only clear and
          immediate public disclosure.

          Religion will continue to remain a robust factor in our society. Grass
          roots change in opinion on such matters is a slow process. Monotheism
          and science have developed side by side for thousands of years. They
          must fall into the position in our democracy where they belong -
          opinion. The debate will go on, and most on either side will never
          change their opinion in their lifetime. To me they are like part one
          and two in a Hegelian dialectical triad. You despair of philosophy, of
          its active presence in our society. Our democracy is our part three in
          this dialectical situation. The synthetic fact must assert its truth
          above the thesis and the antithesis. We need separation of church and
          state, and separation of science and state, for the truth of our
          American proposition to hold sway; because in our participation in
          this constitutional democracy we are actually all philosophers.

          Trinidad
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2007
            "To me they are like part one and two in a Hegelian dialectical triad. You
            despair of philosophy, of its active presence in our society. Our democracy is
            our part three in this dialectical situation. The synthetic fact must assert
            its truth above the thesis and the antithesis. We need separation of church and
            state, and separation of science and state, for the truth of our American
            proposition to hold sway; because in our participation in this constitutional
            democracy we are actually all philosophers." Trinidad

            Hey Trin, gettin' all dialectical. I like it.

            WS

            In a message dated 7/2/07 5:18:30 PM, TriniCruz@... writes:

> [...]
            > roots change in opinion on such matters is a slow process. Monotheism
            > and science have developed side by side for thousands of years. They
            > must fall into the position in our democracy where they belong -
            > opinion. The debate will go on, and most on either side will never
            > change their opinion in their lifetime. To me they are like part one
            > and two in a Hegelian dialectical triad. You despair of philosophy, of
            > its active presence in our society. Our democracy is our part three in
            > this dialectical situation. The synthetic fact must assert its truth
            > above the thesis and the antithesis. We need separation of church and
            > state, and separation of science and state, for the truth of our
            > American proposition to hold sway; because in our participation in
            > this constitutional democracy we are actually all philosophers.

          • C. S. Wyatt
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Trinidad Cruz" <TriniCruz@...> wrote:

              > happened. Perhaps you can explain for me how my certainty about an
              > opinion I hold is threatening to you in any way - if I am a law
              > abiding US citizen?

              What I worry about is the certainty I hear from the "two sides" (though there are more) in
              various debates -- and the corresponding divisions in our society. Debate has been
              replaced by name calling and insinuations that one side alone if privy to the "correct"
              answers and views on issues.

              I long for someone, anyone, to come from the radical middle and change the tone of
              debate so it can be a genuine debate and not the noise that now echoes across the media
              and Web.

              > Your arguments seem to indicate that you are less
              > likely to be involved in any participation in the system than I.

              My involvement is to oppose almost anything that large organizations, especially the
              government, claims to be doing for my benefit. I am definitely opposed to any
              encroachments into my freedoms and those of others. I don't care for any group trying to
              dictate how private individuals should live.

              To me, freedoms are under assault from all sides. I think how they view events becomes a
              way to justify which rights will be taken.

              Free speech is always under assault. Choices in medical care are limited by the FDA's
              desire to "protect" me from dangerous treatments. (I was denied painkillers here in MN
              because the use I had in California was considered "off-label" here. Nice to be protected,
              isn't it?) The right to drink what I want, smoke what I want, or even eventually decide how
              to exit life are all dictated to me. It's absurd.

              I spent a lot of time working for the government. I'm a darn good data analyst. From that
              work, I learned a lot about other cultures and groups. I trust them even less than our own
              government, if that's possible.

              I vote, I write, I volunteer -- but I don't trust. I am a skeptic. That's my nature.

              > laws here that we can safely disagree without slaughter. Debate is
              > neither about games nor winning and losing. It is about informing of
              > an opinion.

              There is little debate in the mainstream. Political consultants, pollsters, and media analysts
              talk about politics in terms of horse races, winners and losers. The issues get four
              minutes, on a good night, and then we are told how leads in what poll by how much. Polls
              are not debate -- they are nothing but ways to create the impression a polling agency
              wants.

              I want debate and discussion, but I want it in a way I seldom see it or hear it, even from
              the sources I read every day. I am a loyal reader of both The Nation and CATO Bulletin. I
              read The New Republic and National Review, Telegraph.uk and Le Monde. I'm now reading
              more in Spanish and Hebrew -- but I admit I cannot read Arabic at all and my business
              partner (who served in the Middle East for several years speaking Arabic) tells me the
              English "translations" are nothing close to the real meanings.

              My radio buttons bounce from NPR and Nova M to Air America and several conservative
              stations. (I cannot stand Bill O'R and Sean Hannity. I try and try, but they annoy me on
              radio. Randy Rhodes is just as bad. Terrible radio.)

              There's just not a lot of real debate. That's why I still turn to S.F. radio stations and
              newspapers online.

              > Religion will continue to remain a robust factor in our society.

              Sadly.

              > above the thesis and the antithesis. We need separation of church and
              > state, and separation of science and state, for the truth of our
              > American proposition to hold sway; because in our participation in
              > this constitutional democracy we are actually all philosophers.

              Sorry, but I want more science in politics and less religion. A lot less religion.

              I am glad we have a republican form. I wish we actually respected that form more, but then
              all three branches would require some leadership.

              I'll go all the way back to the Greek ideal: a leader needs a moral compass. Wish we had
              that, but I'm not sure I see many with ethical ideals. We need philosophers in government,
              men and women with well-rounded educations and experiences. I'm not sure we have
              that, especially when I have had a chance to talk to leaders one-on-one. Some turned out
              to be much less intelligent than I had hoped. Some were just plain ignorant.

              Philosophy is something I support -- or I wouldn't have the Web site and discussion list.
              What I fear is that divisions have increased and debate has lost to name calling and
              stubborn egomania.

              - CSW
            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
                CS,

                I think you confuse social discourse with a philosophical position. The
                latter, if one can manage it, is unable to concede to a position that it considers
                anathema to truth (or the Good, etc.) assuming such a conclusion has already
                been made and that that position culminates in something like what Kant called
                a "maxim". As I am on the left, there are some positions that have achieved
                such an axiomatic status and cannot be 'mediated' by anything, especially by
                some nebulous middle. We have already danced that tango, so I will leave it at
                that.

                The former, social discourse, is a space wherein a debate can take place, but
                if I am consigned a role in such, I do not see why I should celebrate any
                middle. The middle course in an 'evolution/creation' debate would be what? What
                is the middle course on 'Iraq is an illegal invasion', or 'torture is a crime
                against humanity', or 'the vice president is part of the executive'?

                And as a side in a debate, I have no regard for watering an ethical position
                down to that same middle, radical or not. Philosophy is, for me, a sublated
                manifestation of war. I am not of the mind to allow the right-wing, which has
                all but ruined this country and continues to do so still, to imagine that it has
                anything to say about god and country any longer.

                Finally, we are well aware of your libertarian position, as well as other
                specific positions. I haven't seen any change of mind since I have been at this
                group. You seem as certain, at times, as anyone else here, and on matters that
                I have an almost opposite position. What middle course there?

                'Debate' (what passes for debate in the US is a scandal) presumes a
                compromise between parties, but in many instances this is a mirage. Debates are usually
                held for the sake of affecting listeners, not for achieving a middle path.

                Wil

                In a message dated 7/2/07 9:36:21 PM, existlist1@... writes:

> [...]
                >
                > I am glad we have a republican form. I wish we actually respected that form
                > more, but then
                > all three branches would require some leadership.
                >
                > I'll go all the way back to the Greek ideal: a leader needs a moral compass.
                > Wish we had
                > that, but I'm not sure I see many with ethical ideals. We need philosophers
                > in government,
                > men and women with well-rounded educations and experiences. I'm not sure we
                > have
                > that, especially when I have had a chance to talk to leaders one-on-one.
                > Some turned out
                > to be much less intelligent than I had hoped. Some were just plain ignorant.
                >
                > Philosophy is something I support -- or I wouldn't have the Web site and
                > discussion list.
                > What I fear is that divisions have increased and debate has lost to name

              • Trinidad Cruz
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Well Wil, in a real sense this is a dialectical problem of importance.
                  CSW wants leadership with a moral compass, as he puts it. We have a
                  moral and ethical compass here. It is our constitution and system of
                  laws. It is in no way an absolute. It is a chosen consensus containing
                  provision for change and adaptation through debate and new consensus
                  by freely elected representatives. Because it cannot be taken as an
                  absolute it seems to lose importance in the face of both science and
                  religion. Neither naturalism nor theism should dictate to our
                  synthesis here, only propose and debate; yet we find most often as CSW
                  indicates hard-line uncompromising debate between the two. Such
                  stubbornness and egotism in debate is not necessarily harmful, in fact
                  I am generally encouraged by the fact that discussion in such areas is
                  so uncompromising, as such futile discussion shifts importance to the
                  synthesis we have developed to make way for such debate in a bloodless
                  forum in the first place. As people are faced with the futility of
                  absolutes they generally fall back toward a reliance on our synthesis
                  here. It has ever been so in our history, and men have suited the
                  times when the threat to it was real. It is simply grander than any
                  absolute truth.

                  Philosophy cannot reject theism out of hand; only monotheism and its
                  attendant concepts of omnipotence, omniscience, and creationism.
                  Philosophy cannot reject naturalism out of hand; only its
                  functionalist arguments for an absolute materialism. Philosophy cannot
                  allow for solutions that are absolute. The synthesis becomes of the
                  greatest importance. This is not epiphenomenalism because the
                  synthesis is not taken as an absolute, only as something of greater
                  importance than absolutes and subject to change. It is in this, an
                  ethic in a continuously developmental frame. Hobbes, inspired by
                  Plato, struggled through the bare bones of this proposition here 400
                  years ago; so we cannot argue that philosophy has not been shaping the
                  world here all along. The constitution, our system of laws, are a
                  philosophy. This cannot be taken, as it so often mistakenly is, as an
                  idealism. Idealism is a process of casting ideas as absolutes. In such
                  a case then, lower forms in the dialectic to be believed in rather
                  than known. All we can ever know are synthetic forms changing with
                  consensus. We can believe anything. We may not cast our synthesis here
                  as an ideal, as something to believe in; because in doing so we will
                  never know it. Its importance is not even in knowing it as an
                  experience; but rather in individually working at its continuing
                  synthesis. It will not age well. To store it, is to sour it to an
                  ideal, and make it dialectically less. It is good that the struggle
                  for absolutes is loud. Such a circumstance will push us to attend to
                  our synthesis. Only in that attention will it remain healthy and
                  sweet, because it cannot be believed in and remain important, only
                  worked at. Working at it, is knowing it for what it is.

                  Trinidad
                • eupraxis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
                    TC,

                    Agreed. I think.

                    WS

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
                      > The former, social discourse, is a space wherein a debate can take place, but
                      > if I am consigned a role in such, I do not see why I should celebrate any
                      > middle.

                      To me, political change requires compromise and sometimes slow evolutionary steps. My
                      very deep aversion to the death penalty, for example, is not likely to be a position adopted
                      by most voters / politicians. Instead of trying for an "outright win" in the political arena, I
                      try to argue other elements of the problem. For example, it is hard to argue that the
                      application reveals social and political biases in the courts. Also, one can point to those
                      freed thanks to DNA and modern forensics. In other words, I shift the debate to those
                      areas I think there might be consensus.

                      Do I surrender my philosophical notion that the state shouldn't take a life? No. But, I also
                      realize there is a more effective approach politically.

                      I've shifted a lot in life, from the normal "left" of undergraduate years to a libertarian
                      approach. The more I worked in / around government, the less I trusted it.

                      My philosophical approach is to still dream of a time when people get along and help each
                      other voluntarily. I still imagine people have a responsibility to mutually respect each
                      other's rights and freedoms.

                      Politically? I see government in all nations is about the powerful elites, not idealism.

                      Philosophical grounding would help our leaders, as it would any group of people. I want
                      people to consider "The Other" and how our choices impinge on the other. I want people
                      to consider, "What if country/group X did Y to me? What of my rights, then?"

                      Yes, I'm definitely more libertarian than I was two decades ago. I'm also more pro-union,
                      I'm generally more ambivalent about my support for the ACLU (I cannot believe they are
                      supporting the installation of foot baths in our colleges in Minnesota -- uhg), and still a
                      devoted supporter of the National Wildlife Federation (but not the Sierra Club).

                      My philosophy remains apart from political action because I have to compromise to get
                      things done at the university and in our schools. You cannot go in with "I think we should
                      shift taxes collected from one district to the inner city schools" -- a position I hold.
                      Instead, you have to explain to the suburbs why they don't want inner city schools
                      collapsing and failing. My beliefs have to be mediated to get action.

                      I am not a politician, since I couldn't compromise nearly as often as it is required. But, I
                      have been much better at compromise in the last four years than in the past.

                      Pragmatism becomes more appealing when I need to accomplish something. At those
                      moments, Rorty and Schiappa guide my reasoning. When I shift to freedoms, I still turn to
                      a mix of Continental thinkers.

                      Philosophy and the reality conflict. I support republican ideals, with limits on the majority.
                      I always fear the majority and its ability to abuse power -- even when my views might be
                      in the majority.

                      When we implement a philosophy, it changes. What is good in the ideal is always off when
                      men and women try to implement those ideals.

                      Politics is about getting things done. It means terrible choices, like which houses must
                      give way to new roads and transit lines. Politics is not philosophy, at those moments. But, I
                      think philosopher-leaders would ask, "Is it really fair that we always put the roads through
                      poor or middle-income neighborhoods?" I want politicians to feel some internal agony
                      over every choice, while still making a choice.

                      Isn't that the core of existentialism? Most choices have a negative, Sartre said, but we tend
                      to ignore the negatives so we can act free of guilt. I want more guilt from our leaders. Lots
                      more guilt.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 3, 2007
> [...]
                        ideal is always off when
                        > men and women try to implement those ideals.
                        >
                        > Politics is about getting things done. It means terrible choices,
                        like which houses must
                        > give way to new roads and transit lines. Politics is not
                        philosophy, at those moments. But, I
                        > think philosopher-leaders would ask, "Is it really fair that we
                        always put the roads through
                        > poor or middle-income neighborhoods?" I want politicians to feel
                        some internal agony
                        > over every choice, while still making a choice.
                        >
                        > Isn't that the core of existentialism? Most choices have a
                        negative, Sartre said, but we tend
                        > to ignore the negatives so we can act free of guilt. I want more
                        guilt from our leaders. Lots
                        > more guilt.
                        >CSW, With the people we have at the top there is no guilt.
                        Caligula rules and look out if you are his horse or sister. Bill