Re: Either/ Or... and Absurdity

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 2, 2007
      Wil, how about steering this discussion into terms of mental
      causality. That would not be outside of Hegelian propositions, and for
      others in the group there is good reference available online from the
      kidddies at Stanford on Davidson whose position is very interesting
      and in this case clarifying.

      :http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/anomalous-monism/

      tc

      > L,
      >
      > Yes, and Hegel, as well.
      >
      > I don't know about you, but I have had about as much of this
      > scientistic nonsense as I can take. If this is what discussions are
      > going to be like around here, I might have to take a hiatus.
      >
      > WS

    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 5, 2007
        On Jun 05, 2007, at 8:57, Trinidad Cruz wrote:

        > I used to live in Minneapolis back in the 50's. I don't remember the
        > street but a couple of blocks from a little pond called Diamond Lake,
        > and a Nicolet Ave.

        The Diamond Lake area is giving way to two expanded freeways. This is
        progress, of course. As with so many cities, Minneapolis once had
        more than 500 miles of streetcar lines, all privately operated. The
        local government took over the lines -- and killed them in 1954 to
        replace the system with buses.

        I wish I could have seen the old system. I take the light rail, most
        of the 20 miles, from our apartment to the Metrodome on my way to
        campus. The new house will cut my time to campus in half or better.

        I'm not much for cities, anymore. I think cities are interesting when
        you are young and care for all the activity. Now, I just want to sit
        by the Mississippi or one of the lakes and relax. The nice thing
        about Minneapolis is that even with so many people, there are lots of
        little areas that seem like the country.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.