Re: Either/ Or... and Absurdity

    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 2, 2007
      > The focus is on the brain and what WE deal with - your favourite
      > painting is your favourite due to the emotions it elicits in you,
      > and so is subjective even of the general set of basic emotions is
      > what you share with other species-members.

      Chris, You make a philosophical error, generalising from your own
      underlying and, possibly, unrecognised, unexamined valuations.
      Aesthetic emotion does not follow such a neatly determined course for
      every individual. Dialectic may be a discourse within the soul,
      brought to consciousness, developed, subsumed to new instinct. This
      is one of the processes which Kierkegaard is able to elucidate, for
      those who are interested, in the way he says it. Louise
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 5, 2007
        On Jun 05, 2007, at 8:57, Trinidad Cruz wrote:

        > I used to live in Minneapolis back in the 50's. I don't remember the
        > street but a couple of blocks from a little pond called Diamond Lake,
        > and a Nicolet Ave.

        The Diamond Lake area is giving way to two expanded freeways. This is
        progress, of course. As with so many cities, Minneapolis once had
        more than 500 miles of streetcar lines, all privately operated. The
        local government took over the lines -- and killed them in 1954 to
        replace the system with buses.

        I wish I could have seen the old system. I take the light rail, most
        of the 20 miles, from our apartment to the Metrodome on my way to
        campus. The new house will cut my time to campus in half or better.

        I'm not much for cities, anymore. I think cities are interesting when
        you are young and care for all the activity. Now, I just want to sit
        by the Mississippi or one of the lakes and relax. The nice thing
        about Minneapolis is that even with so many people, there are lots of
        little areas that seem like the country.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.