Re: Either/ Or... and Absurdity

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 2, 2007
      Chris,

      You write:

      "Subjective experience is LOCAL, DISCRETE, PARTICULAR such that the
      isomorphism is covered when the elements correspond:
      Subjective/objective; Particular/general; …"

      No! – My favourite painting is local, discrete, and particular, but
      it doesn't have subjective experiences, free will and it isn't
      responsible for its actions. Same for my favourite pebble.

      You also write:

      "[A]s an agent of mediation/randomness you DO have purpose, to be
      purposeless and so allow for escape from history - to be 'free'."

      So, for you, for an individual to be free is for that person to act
      randomly and without purpose. This is a very strange definition of
      what it is for a human being to be free!

      I think your definition implies that an atom of radio-active
      plutonium is free, but it doesn't match my idea of human freedom. I
      feel that I am most free when I act out of passionate commitment –
      when I do have a clear purpose and a resolute will to carry it out.
      When I am randomly, aimlessly wandering around the shopping mall,
      without any purpose, I am at my least free.

      Jim
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 5, 2007
        On Jun 05, 2007, at 8:57, Trinidad Cruz wrote:

        > I used to live in Minneapolis back in the 50's. I don't remember the
        > street but a couple of blocks from a little pond called Diamond Lake,
        > and a Nicolet Ave.

        The Diamond Lake area is giving way to two expanded freeways. This is
        progress, of course. As with so many cities, Minneapolis once had
        more than 500 miles of streetcar lines, all privately operated. The
        local government took over the lines -- and killed them in 1954 to
        replace the system with buses.

        I wish I could have seen the old system. I take the light rail, most
        of the 20 miles, from our apartment to the Metrodome on my way to
        campus. The new house will cut my time to campus in half or better.

        I'm not much for cities, anymore. I think cities are interesting when
        you are young and care for all the activity. Now, I just want to sit
        by the Mississippi or one of the lakes and relax. The nice thing
        about Minneapolis is that even with so many people, there are lots of
        little areas that seem like the country.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.