Re: [existlist] Re: Either/ Or... and Absurdity

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 36 , May 31, 2007
      Well put, and reassuringly so (for me).

      WS

      -----Original Message-----
      From: jimstuart46 <jjimstuart@...>
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 31 May 2007 2:40 pm
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Either/ Or... and Absurdity

      Chris (CJ),

      You just don't get it.

      I'm saying that you can't get subjective truth out of objective

      truth.

      What's your response? You just pile more and more objective truth on

      the table.

      No, you can keep posting long posts for the next five years with

      more and more objective truth in them, but you won't end up with one

      grain of subjective truth on the table.

      A bit of history: Descartes said the essential human self was an

      immaterial mental substance – a mental object.

      Kierkegaard, Heidegger and Sartre argued that the essential human

      self was a subject and not an object.

      Modern physicalists and functionalists ignore Kierkegaard, Heidegger

      and Sartre and go back to Descartes – the only difference is that

      they replace the immaterial mental object with a physical object –

      the brain. For these modern Cartesians, the essential human self is

      a physical object. (Arguably, functionalists say the essential human

      self is an abstract object – an information processing system, but

      it's still an object.)

      When I contributed to the Kierkegaardian forums, I was criticised by

      my most clear-thinking and perceptive interlocutor for thinking and

      writing too objectively. And I think that criticism was correct – I

      still don't manage to think and act as subjectively as is

      appropriate for a purported follower of Kierkegaard. (Generally

      women are much better at thinking subjectively, but Socrates,

      Kierkegaard and Nietzsche all managed it.)

      But if I see overly-objective thinking as a fault in myself, you

      don't even seem to recognise the objective/subjective dichotomy.

      Strange for someone who is so keen on dichotomies. (Hint: It's not

      the same as the particular/general dichotomy.)

      Jim

      Indirect communication to Louise: "And if I don't say a word, you'll

      know that it's the truth." (nothing deep!)

    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 5, 2007
        On Jun 05, 2007, at 8:57, Trinidad Cruz wrote:

        > I used to live in Minneapolis back in the 50's. I don't remember the
        > street but a couple of blocks from a little pond called Diamond Lake,
        > and a Nicolet Ave.

        The Diamond Lake area is giving way to two expanded freeways. This is
        progress, of course. As with so many cities, Minneapolis once had
        more than 500 miles of streetcar lines, all privately operated. The
        local government took over the lines -- and killed them in 1954 to
        replace the system with buses.

        I wish I could have seen the old system. I take the light rail, most
        of the 20 miles, from our apartment to the Metrodome on my way to
        campus. The new house will cut my time to campus in half or better.

        I'm not much for cities, anymore. I think cities are interesting when
        you are young and care for all the activity. Now, I just want to sit
        by the Mississippi or one of the lakes and relax. The nice thing
        about Minneapolis is that even with so many people, there are lots of
        little areas that seem like the country.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.