Re: [existlist] Re: Viktor Spoils

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007
      JD,

      Well, I have been reading quite a lot of Alain Badiou. I am particularly interested in the question of "the subject", especially in this post-modern milieu.

      Hegel, of course, rendered the subject as a process rather than as a 'thing', as a natural being rather than as a soul, and as a function of its context rather than as pregiven substance. In many ways, Hegel pointed to our post-modern anti-humanism, as it were.

      Lacan also understands the subject as a function, as do Foucault and Althusser, each in their own way. Badiou seems to me to be somewhere in that mix, but with a punch and a lot of style (sometimes). For Badiou, the subject erupts only in an event. Otherwise, we are just slime going about our natural affairs. (Hegel has a similar idea in the Phenomenology.) A subject is not just someone with a "project" as in some existential phenomenology, but comes forth only in an eruption as a sign of force or contradiction.

      A lot of contemporary cognitive science, like Thomas Metzinger's Being No One, seems to dove tail with something like the above. Badiou wants to demonstrate that an ethical and political subject is 'still' a necessary notion, even as the idea of 'self' has suffered its own erasure.

      WS