Da monkeys

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2007
      Even K probably said things of worth , I just do not wish to sift all
      the sand on the beach. I do not wish to argue about his agnosticism, I
      do not think that stance worthy of respect. I do not want to follow an
      agnostic because he does not know where he is going. Somebody makes
      decisions in a life so who is responsible, the individual or his god. I
      have gotten weary of studying all these damn gods just to figure out
      where all these believers and agnostics are coming from. If I seem
      short it is because this happens periodically. It isn`t worth the
      energy expended to makes the moves back and forth. You will not get me
      to discuss K. I do what I do at my pleasurs and could care who you
      wish to read and write about. Why are you an athiest? Bill
    • jimstuart46
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Bill,

        I'm not sure why you think Kierkegaard was an agnostic.

        On my reading Kierkegaard was a theist and a Christian – though
        totally unlike the so-called Christians of Britain and America today,
        and the so-called Christians of nineteenth century Denmark.

        Kierkegaard also had a different conception of belief from what is
        standard. The standard view is that for S to believe p, S thinks that
        the objective proposition p is true. For Kierkegaard, for S to
        believe p is for S to be subjectively committed to p, that is for S
        to base his actions on the assumption that p. For Kierkegaard, all
        objective propositions are uncertain, so rather than waste his life
        seeking to obtain certainty before he acts, the individual should
        choose to act decisively on the basis of a passionate commitment to
        an uncertain proposition.

        You ask me why I am an atheist. Answer: I just don't believe that
        there is a super intelligence out there who created the world, who
        listens to prayers and who judges everybody after they die. I don't
        believe in life after death at all. I don't believe that there is any
        guarantee that things will turn out well. I may be wrong about these
        things but after years of investigation, I find the balance of
        evidence in favour of atheism.

        I stake my life on the belief that this life here and now is all
        there is. So, from day to day I ask myself how it is best to live,
        given my atheistic assumptions.

        Jim