Less Kirkegaard=Less suffering

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
      It is the same old game from the same worn quarter. A posturing theist
      wants to sell us some jesus. They want a mystical world and as usual we
      elect not to play. The scripture quoting is par for the course as the
      nut ball cloud swirles by. I have noticed they often appear on sundays,
      obviously they take greater liberties with reality on the lords day. I
      do not accept your thoughts and never have since I began to examine the
      absurdity of the faith based life. Sad throw backs to the age of
      priests and faithful deserve the notice one gives to reeking garbage
      in the gutter. It smells so you move away. If it follows then action
      will ensue. That hypocracy does not belong here as we have other
      standards to uphold. Go to church, be with your kind. We will not
      follow you there . Do not harass us here. We have no desire to burst
      your bubble, the stench, again the stench is too unplesant. Bill
    • jimstuart46
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
        Bill,

        Do you always rattle off replies without reading the original post? Was
        my post a bit long for you? A bit too subtle?

        A careful reader of my two posts to this forum might detect that my
        project is to try to extract what is of value in Kierkegaard's
        writings if I reject his Christianity and his theism.

        I don't have you down as a careful reader.

        Jim

        P.S. I'm not having much luck. Hounded off the Kierkegaard forums
        for being an atheist. I'm now been hounded off the Existentialist
        forum for taking Kierkegaard's thought seriously.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
          Poetry should be sung. Mostly in private.
        • mary.jo11
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
            Ever ruminant and nonplussed, I'll take the unenviable position or
            two. Kierkegaard has little or nothing to offer Islamic
            existentialism. Genocide and holocausts even less. Nietzsche, Sartre
            and perhaps Camus might still offer something. Strangely, Camus,
            despite his penchant for absurdism, seemed to have the most sense
            about the dangers of radicalism in his own country, Algeria. He would
            have espoused neither as well. Wine and poetry in private may light
            the way. In public, a secular approach to saving the planet and the
            species, including 'chosen' ethnic groups with a will to survive,
            should dominate the conversation. Mary
          • jimstuart51
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
              I'm not quite sure what Nietzsche has to offer genocide and
              holocausts. Is he offering comfort to the victims, or an anti-racist
              personal outlook, or a political alternative which may make genocides
              and holocausts less likely in the future?

              Jim

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

              > Ever ruminant and nonplussed, I'll take the unenviable position or
              > two. Kierkegaard has little or nothing to offer Islamic
              > existentialism. Genocide and holocausts even less. Nietzsche, Sartre
              > and perhaps Camus might still offer something. Strangely, Camus,
              > despite his penchant for absurdism, seemed to have the most sense
              > about the dangers of radicalism in his own country, Algeria. He would
              > have espoused neither as well. Wine and poetry in private may light
              > the way. In public, a secular approach to saving the planet and the
              > species, including 'chosen' ethnic groups with a will to survive,
              > should dominate the conversation. Mary

            • Alan James Lee
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
                I know my fate. One day there will be associated with my name the
                recollection of something frightful, of a crisis like no other on
                earth, of the profoundest collision of conscience.
                Friedrich Nietzche.

                Regards, Alan.

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

                > I'm not quite sure what Nietzsche has to offer genocide and
                > holocausts. Is he offering comfort to the victims, or an anti-racist
                > personal outlook, or a political alternative which may make genocides
                > and holocausts less likely in the future?
                >
                > Jim
                >

                > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ever ruminant and nonplussed, I'll take the unenviable position or
                > > two. Kierkegaard has little or nothing to offer Islamic
                > > existentialism. Genocide and holocausts even less. Nietzsche, Sartre
                > > and perhaps Camus might still offer something. Strangely, Camus,
                > > despite his penchant for absurdism, seemed to have the most sense
                > > about the dangers of radicalism in his own country, Algeria. He would
                > > have espoused neither as well. Wine and poetry in private may light
                > > the way. In public, a secular approach to saving the planet and the
                > > species, including 'chosen' ethnic groups with a will to survive,
                > > should dominate the conversation. Mary

              • Exist List Moderator
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
                  I was reading today about the film version of Golden Compass and the
                  challenges the film faces -- because the film (like the books) is
                  generally "anti-religion" and very focused on issues of choice and
                  free will.

                  Now, I happen to think Pullman's work is an interesting parallel to
                  the "Christian" works of C. S. Lewis. You can claim to be anti-faith,
                  but any book with souls as a primary plot point is more anti-organized
                  religion than anti-faith.

                  I do think it is interesting to compare stories over time. (Swift
                  being a great political satirist, for example.) Maybe we are shifting
                  towards a secular ideal, driven by the realization that organizations
                  of any kind are corrupting, consuming the individual.

                  We'll see if the $200 million spent on this film pays off or if it
                  simply fades away. I love the fact someone was willing to invest in a
                  philosophical tale, though.

                  - CSW
                • Jason MOUNtford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
                    I look foward to seeing the Golden Compass. It is one of many movies used to steer the cattle into greener pastures. Influences of past have outlived there usefulness, some will fight the change, others will embrace it. Either way, change is here, and here to stay!

                    Recent acts of protesting the movie because Pullman has been classified an Atheist are out of ignorance. I don't see it as a movie that promotes Athiesm at the least. Freewill and spirituality maybe, Atheism, noway.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
                      [Jason]
                      I look foward to seeing the Golden Compass. It is one of many movies
                      used to steer the cattle into greener pastures.

                      [Louise]
                      Cattle are not the kind of animal susceptible to fits of anger.
                      Human beings, on the contrary, who continue to burn up the planet
                      with their anger, are the most usual species to be found at movie
                      venues. The sensitive, however, may discern a reptilian presence.

                      [Jason]
                      Influences of past have outlived there usefulness, some will fight
                      the change, others will embrace it. Either way, change is here, and
                      here to stay!

                      [Louise]
                      I see no evidence at all that influences of the past are waning.
                      Periodically in history a false religion may die, in order to allow
                      faith to be renewed. This is not achieved within the aesthetic
                      sphere, to which all forms of art belong.

                      [Jason]
                      Recent acts of protesting the movie because Pullman has been
                      classified an Atheist are out of ignorance. I don't see it as a movie
                      that promotes Athiesm at the least. Freewill and spirituality maybe,
                      Atheism, noway.

                      [Louise]
                      Social change becomes possible when the problems of society are
                      understood. And the necessary means to effect change are willed.