Robert Solomon

  • wot53_2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 7:39 PM
      Robert Solomon's books on philosophy,
      Nietzsche & existentialism have made a big impression on me &
      I'm sure on many others. I will miss
      him & the contributions yet to be made.

      City paper of Austin Texas had a press release on his death
      & a tribute book you can sign.

      The Teaching Company has some great courses by Solomon
      on Nietzsche & Existentialism & a new course on
      Philosophy & Emotions.

      Warren Thompson
    • wot53_2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
        I'm just sorry he died so young. I admit I'm a novice
        but his overview of Existentialism and Nietzsche on The Teaching
        Co. courses I thought were well done and understandable.

        Is there a specific reason you didn't like him C.S.?

        **********
        I would generally agree that Solomon was off the mark in most of his
        writings. I use his texts only as introductions, then spend time
        explaining why he was wrong. For many years, his were the only
        "overview" texts I could locate for surveys of existential thought.

        Never, never, never (and I would repeat again, never) use Solomon as a
        primary source for anything philosophical. Quote him to to open doors,
        to enable corrections. Though I do like "What Nietzsche Really Said,"
        the Kaufmann works are far better on Nietzsche.

        - C. S. Wyatt
      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Aug 01, 2008, at 20:17, wot53_2000 wrote:

          > I'm just sorry he died so young. I admit I'm a novice
          > but his overview of Existentialism and Nietzsche on The Teaching
          > Co. courses I thought were well done and understandable.
          >
          > Is there a specific reason you didn't like him C.S.?

          Probably similar to Wil's reaction... not always solid scholarship,
          Solomon read into other philosophers his own ideas. He would have been
          much better promoting his own views, in his own words, instead of
          misreading / partially reading others.

          This is not unique to Solomon. Sartre's scholarship was horrendous at
          times, as was Nietzsche's. These men had strong ideas and opinions,
          which they often "saw" in the words of others. In Nietzsche's case,
          his professors and other academics listed the various errors. For
          Sartre, Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty were constantly offering
          corrections.

          Solomon's simplifications of Sartre and Nietzsche are similar to the
          Existential Primer -- you cannot do justice to the ideas of others in
          abbreviated forms. However, Solomon took simplifications and expounded
          upon them for hundreds of pages.

          Again, I think Wil might have a more detailed response. I was always
          left wanting more detail and support for the claims made. Many of the
          claims were just too easy to discount, especially any statements about
          Sartre or Camus.

          - C. S. Wyatt
          that I shall be.
        • ccorey@frontiernet.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
            You would think the Late Bob Solomon to be an existentialist but in
            fact he was a Hegelian...........

            -c-

            Quoting wot53_2000 <wot53_2000@...>:

            > I'm just sorry he died so young. I admit I'm a novice
            > but his overview of Existentialism and Nietzsche on The Teaching
            > Co. courses I thought were well done and understandable.
            >
            > Is there a specific reason you didn't like him C.S.?
            >

            > **********
            > I would generally agree that Solomon was off the mark in most of his
            > writings. I use his texts only as introductions, then spend time
            > explaining why he was wrong. For many years, his were the only
            > "overview" texts I could locate for surveys of existential thought.
            >
            > Never, never, never (and I would repeat again, never) use Solomon as a
            > primary source for anything philosophical. Quote him to to open doors,
            > to enable corrections. Though I do like "What Nietzsche Really Said,"
            > the Kaufmann works are far better on Nietzsche.
            >
            > - C. S. Wyatt

            Christopher Corey
            Freedom is Existence