300

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      I just finished watching "300", the movie. It is a technological
      wonder, Priscilla did not recognise it as mostly animation. It is
      also augmented ancient history and seemed true to other versions of
      Thermopoli that I have read. It adapted geopolitics, anti mysticism
      and racism in various doses.
      Wil, I have sympathy with you in your revulsion at the
      demonstrations you mentioned. This movie is just too timely,
      too "horray for the west" to be taken as wholly verifiable history.
      Speaches by Lyonitis concerning courage , honor, and other homeric
      virtues made harsh opposition with the basso rumblings of a seven
      foot tall Xerses who was the monster villian out to crush the future
      of democracy. Actually the Persians are the outnumbered, outgunned
      antagonists in our modern morality play. The spinning and posturing
      in the discord with Iran are playing well to western audiencies.
      The theatre was full and I wonder if many in the audience knew they
      were watching clever propaganda. I understand Greek theatres are
      overflowing . It just goes on and on through the centuries, Alexander
      and Darius, Lyonitis and Xerces, Agamemnon and Priam, Blair and the
      Aiatolla battle for their well spun perceptions of reality.
      I, Wil, like you , am cought up in the cheering for the good guys,
      for the future of rational thinking, for an end to totalitarianism.
      If the carrier of mystical absurdism is now Islam then down with the
      enemy and up with our side. Later on we can kill off the catholics,
      protestants, jews, neocons and all the rest still unnamed. It is just
      good , clean competition playing out of our animal genes. Our allies
      don`t look right and have a bad smell but when you need allies you
      take what you can get. Hell, Im Irish and now stand shield to shield
      with the Brits. When they block out the sun with arrows we will
      fight in the shade. Great, Bill