Re: [existlist] cruising freely for truth

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2007
      Freedom is not the same as truth. Are you talking about "Truth" or
      "truth" and are you talking about absolutely freedom, mental freedom,
      freedom of action, freedom from, freedom to....

      Most current philosophers push the notion there is no Truth, with
      some exceptions in the theistic ranks and maybe, maybe the realists
      like Sam Harris. Pragmatics gets into the messy notion "truth" is
      defined by the majority or those most trusted by the majority. Hence,
      science can be our "truth" because we, the majority, trust science.

      I argue there is Truth, but I argue that from my interests in
      science. As mentioned by Habermas and many others, this puts me at
      odds with most French existentialism, but not some of those trying to
      merge analytic and continental traditions. I like science -- while
      admitting it does not create Truth, but rather offers categories we
      can use for practical application.

      Freedom is messy, as a concept.

      I want to be "free to" while others want to be "free from" -- and
      there is a major difference. Again, however, the radicals at both
      ends of this debate have given way to the realization that complete
      freedom (anarchy) doesn't work with what we are learning about human
      behavior, neurologically / biologically, across cultures. It seems
      leaders emerge willing to exploit others in every system. But, the
      "freedom from" concept is ruined by the fact that to meet the needs
      of and offer protection to every life means taking away some other
      freedoms. Someone has to "lose the lottery" and do the menial tasks
      essential to a group of humans living together.

      Now, we are stuck with selecting where we exist on two spectrums, not
      absolute and dogmatic either/or positions.

      I have "more faith" in democratic capitalism than some people, and
      much less faith in government. But that's not an absolute faith in
      one and complete disdain for the other. Without "absolutes" the
      "Truth" of which systems are best is more a "truth" of what works.

      Absolutes exist in religion, but even that changes as we have seen
      with the decreasing dogmatism of reform Christianity in our cultures.
      Once you don't take things as Literal Truth, you are admitting things
      are open to debate and interpretation.

      Then again, I don't like absolute laws, either. Everything is grey at
      some point.

      - CSW