Sola, et al

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2007
      Some basic Internet theories, dating back to the Usenet newsgroups:

      1) Use of the terms "Nazi" and "fascist" are usually an indication
      the person has no historical appreciation for the events of WWII and
      is making sloppy, emotional comparison.

      2) ALL CAPS ARE ALSO a sign of empty content. Please refrain from them.

      3) The more someone mentions an author, the less likely he/she is to
      have understood the author.

      4) Anyone posting more than five times a day to each group, unless
      providing technical support on comp.compilers.theory or
      comp.databases.admin, probably needs more exposure to sunlight.

      I've always liked these basic guidelines. The first is probably the
      best known in various forms. Some call it the "Forfeit by Nazi rule."
      You mention Nazis first, you lose the debate.

      While I've been away a lot, mainly because I'm trying to write a
      dissertation defense, when I do sort through the messages I don't
      want to have to delete two dozen one-line aphorisms. I also don't
      want to skim posts longer than the student papers I grade. There is a
      balance between witless brevity and long-winded nonsense.

      As owner/founder/lord of the list, I am asking people to consider
      their posts before sending them. Sure, we can use a bit of humor or
      the random comment on life, but don't abuse the list.

      - CSW