Knowledge base

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
      I usually run from perception arguments as I consider the brain
      thinking about the brain to be the ultimate conundrum. Yet as
      Trinidad and Knott revisit the consideration I see some progress in
      what I think about self psychoanalysis. I think you can accept
      little more than experimentally verified facts. You can begin to
      lock in a future by the perusal of such facts. This is perhaps
      the "Through a glass darkly" of the French Plague Doctor. Very
      quickly a real time event slashes through to erase the vision but an
      aura, like Deja vu, remains.
      Knott seems ahead in this area because of his extreme skepticism. He
      does not believe in the existance of his own mind .
      I don't think you have to believe ,to think, gets way behind
      Descartes. It postulates an intellectual life of individual freedom,
      a kind of existance precedes essence that begins to explore itself.
      The perception of that exploration becomes consciousness. That is
      where the injection of faith often begins . The recent material I
      have been observing regarding our foremost covert agency came from
      the Valerie Plame hearings before congress. She said some CIA people
      take life long oaths of secrecy. Seems logical if you are a supreme
      believer in cause.
      Ms. Pflame is a bona fide star on the rise. She handled classified
      matters with a deft hand and charmed the press and committee. She
      played the gal wronged to perfection. Libby was a wake up call but if
      Valery tunes up all the names on that chart have serious problems.
      The Fed Attorney firings matter came to local attention as a Bush
      leaning prosecutor went after a state senator, my state senator.
      This can have endless legs and leads right back to many of the names
      of Valery's situation. How deeply and fundamentally one is infested
      with life hood faith seem linked to how early in consciousness ones
      freedom was attacked by limitations imposed by faith. The true
      believers are exemplified in "The Good Shepherd" as the real
      American`s, the rest of us are just visiting. I don`t want to talk
      about it. Bill
    • † Angel Sola
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
        the soul as a BELIEF............would really validate a respect for
        what IS TRUE. Yes, when it comes to what is JUST BEYOND our DIRECT
        PERCEPTION we do SEE THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, but we SEE
        nonetheless.....it is a seeing that is like an 'intuitive feeling'.
        Conscience-based Right and Wrong stem from a cosmic human-soul
        egalitarianism which itself is based on DIVINE MERCY......This was
        somewhat alluded to by the idea of categorical imperative.

        But first you need to value human beings as precious. Believing in a
        soul is believing in preciousness. It relates back to DIVINE LOVE. A
        person who does not believe in or LOOK FOR miracles will not see
        them, one who is on the look out for miracles will see them, rare as
        they might be. Miracles are unexpected, and NOT created by the mind's
        wishes. That they are unexpected is proof of their validity. They are
        DETECTED not CREATED by the soul-mind.

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
          How is that existentialist again? Or...?

          WS

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007

            > How is that existentialist again? Or...?
            >
            > WS

            that is a desirable course and all of us of some temporality have
            taken out the garbage. To reingage the mind to the basics of clean
            logic would seem particulary in your chant. This votive prince, or
            princess, seems ripe for the harvest should anyone want a teaching
            opportunity. I have not the energy as the corporate grinding
            keeps up it`s power. Answer or be reduced, it is good some want to
            know and surly some will. Now they play tourch music in SF. It is
            the only place where life seems to enjoy its presance. Even the sea
            lions come and expect harbour. Bill

          • † Angel Sola
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
              Existentially speaking, I was, as a human being with a mind, reacting
              intellectually to some postings here. They prompted me to
              have 'thoughts' and so I thought I'd put them up. What doesn't relate
              to existentialism? I can't think of anything off hand. I found this
              group through the name Kierkegaard, and thought I'd join since
              existentialism interests me, and I adore Kierkegaard's
              writing. "Purity of Heart", and "Works of Love" have been very
              influential in my thought processes. He somewhat provided me some
              confidence to have my own type of existentialism. More of a
              positivist brand, rather than nihilistic. That being said, I will
              also say I know that I may be lonely if I am a Kierkegaardian
              Existentialist. Of course that is NOT all that I am.

              > How is that existentialist again? Or...?
              >
              > WS

            • Knott
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
                > I think you can accept
                > little more than experimentally verified facts.

                I am not begging you to see anything my way...but how exactly are
                facts factual? We perceive through a stream of nerves, supposedly, to
                supposedly march a perfect re-creation of the whole before us (that
                is, re-create it inside the brain from the thought of it), and yet at
                the same time the decision of what to measure and how to measure and
                what with provides the mechanism that we might choose the things which
                are most likely to lead us to the conclusion we desire in
                appropriating the testing. Proof that I exist is not "shooting myself
                in the head" as I believe TC once suggested to me, as that is testing
                a belief system, not a reality. Proof of how much of a quack that I am
                is likely not born of my quacker-brain schemes, where I am constantly
                deluded into uncontrolled leaps of 'faith' such as instances where my
                cat's "soul" appears to me, though I am without (soul, that is--or at
                least without clear understanding of the manefestation of
                'soul-ness'). What kind of a clam am I?

                I might say that there is a funnel each time the toilet is flushed,
                and I can flush every toilet in the galexy, but until I have
                established a simple fact, I don't see how I can come to the
                conclusion that any conclusion as to my flushing is 'real'.

                Quips Alike (Clambase 9)