California dreaming

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
      In contrast with my conversation with the Berkley student who
      turned out to be a philosophy professor, I spent an evening with
      six British twenty somethings. After a critique of American ski
      slopes they asked me what I believe. When I replied I attempt to
      have no beliefs they were moved to ask how I could hold such a
      position. When I explained an existentialist could think in such a
      fashion , they did not know what an existentialist is. None of them
      knew of Sartre, Camus, Kierkegaard or any of their writings. So
      much for continental viewpoint. So this is where I think the
      academic profession enters and in this case fails.
      I do not blame them for wanting to ski and have a life of work
      and physical sport. I lived that life when I was their age. Yet
      their education failed them in that they had no appreciation of
      modern philosophy.
      They all claimed to be labor liberals and were happy to be free of
      the monarchy. When I replied they were all subjects with no
      constitution or bill of rights they said that only happened when the
      conservatives were in power. Just more hair splitting I suppose.
      They had no concept of the divine right of kings and were sure a
      republic leads to corruption and revolution. I did not argue that
      point. When I told them I rarely agree with Bush they were pleased
      because he is a gun toting cowboy. So many of their views simply
      happen with no solid basis. Where were their professors, where is
      their critical method of analysis?
      They liked California because it is free and liberal but were
      worried that cowboys run Nevada and could be a problem as they
      traveled on to ski. They worried about gun violence. I told them that
      their numbers were sufficient to deter most cowboys but if they
      wanted they could all buy combat knives just down the block. They
      were shocked at the idea of self defense since only the cops have
      that authority.
      So, I must agree with the owners appraisal that the young are being
      abused by their association with the academy. They know what they
      must believe but have little idea why. All in all they seem well
      controlled but ignorant of the motives or methods of power. It seems
      sad. Bill
    • dicklennart
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007

        > In contrast with my conversation with the Berkley student who
        > turned out to be a philosophy professor, I spent an evening with
        > six British twenty somethings. After a critique of American ski
        > slopes they asked me what I believe. When I replied I attempt to
        > have no beliefs they were moved to ask how I could hold such a
        > position. When I explained an existentialist could think in such a
        > fashion , they did not know what an existentialist is. None of
        them
        > knew of Sartre, Camus, Kierkegaard or any of their writings. So
        > much for continental viewpoint. So this is where I think the
        > academic profession enters and in this case fails.
        > I do not blame them for wanting to ski and have a life of work
        > and physical sport. I lived that life when I was their age. Yet
        > their education failed them in that they had no appreciation of
        > modern philosophy.
        > They all claimed to be labor liberals and were happy to be free
        of
        > the monarchy. When I replied they were all subjects with no
        > constitution or bill of rights they said that only happened when
        the
        > conservatives were in power. Just more hair splitting I suppose.
        > They had no concept of the divine right of kings and were sure a
        > republic leads to corruption and revolution. I did not argue that
        > point. When I told them I rarely agree with Bush they were pleased
        > because he is a gun toting cowboy. So many of their views simply
        > happen with no solid basis. Where were their professors, where is
        > their critical method of analysis?
        > They liked California because it is free and liberal but were
        > worried that cowboys run Nevada and could be a problem as they
        > traveled on to ski. They worried about gun violence. I told them
        that
        > their numbers were sufficient to deter most cowboys but if they
        > wanted they could all buy combat knives just down the block. They
        > were shocked at the idea of self defense since only the cops have
        > that authority.
        > So, I must agree with the owners appraisal that the young are
        being
        > abused by their association with the academy. They know what they
        > must believe but have little idea why. All in all they seem well
        > controlled but ignorant of the motives or methods of power. It
        seems
        > sad. Bill

        Not to worry. Englishmen can´t ski. Dick