Re: [existlist] Re: Testing

  • Susan Schnelbach
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
      Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
      be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?

      - Susan

      On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:25 AM, bhvwd wrote:

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
      > > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
      > and
      > > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
      > >
      > > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
      > >
      > > - Susan

      > > > Paranoia? On this list?
      > > >
      > > > - C. S. Wyatt
      > > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
      > all
      > > > that I shall be.
      > > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
      > > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
      > > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
      > great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
      > site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
      > Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
      > having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
      > him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
      > music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
      > wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
      > think SF has saved us. Bill

    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
        so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport? why
        not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
        or whatever one is capable of ?

        aija
        > Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
        > be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?
        >
        > - Susan
      • Trinidad Cruz
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
          wrote:

          "so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
          why not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair
          racing or whatever one is capable of ?"

          aija

          What is scholarship? What is the study of something? What is a
          disciplined method of thinking? Why learn to read and write?
          Literature may be taken in only two ways by a human being: either as a
          cargo religion (i/e John Frum etc.), you know, books have (ships and
          planes deliver) answers that improve your human experience; or as the
          record of the war against free men. Whatever you write will fall
          within those two orders of reading. The real question is: can
          solidarity with one lead to solidarity with the other? Can scholarship
          elevate the "cargo" faithful to freedom? Or will the solidarity of the
          dispossessed leave the home of the free man a wasteland in a nuclear test?

          "she's a refugee,
          she's gonna come to live in …"

          tc
        • Exist List Moderator
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
            On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:24, Aija Veldre Beldavs wrote:

            > so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
            > why
            > not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
            > or whatever one is capable of ?

            Last week Ed Schiappa (sp?) spoke to a seminar I'm attending. Ed is a
            "pragmatist" and colleague of Cornell West and Richard Rorty. To be
            honest, reading Ed's book on Defining Reality was a challenge, but
            worth the effort -- he critiques how laws are written and interpreted
            and why we even have laws.

            My theory is we have laws because we assume other people are stupid
            and/or selfish and need to be restrained from harming the "rest of
            us" who must be smarter. You would think some laws cover things
            amazingly obvious to people, but apparently not. After all, if people
            thought Kant or the Golden Rule was right, we wouldn't need laws
            against theft or murder.

            Anyway, one of the things Ed said, much to the chagrin of the
            professor leading the seminar:

            "Academics in the humanities make a career of splitting hairs and
            arguing about definitions. Entire careers are built on debating
            meanings, not doing anything serious. I mean, come on, if I had to
            live on a farm and work, I wouldn't be arguing that the definition of
            'rape' is cultural and 'truth' is relative."

            Ed said you become an academic because you can. It's a choice to sit
            around thinking, while other people grow the food, cure disease,
            fight crime, and protect the ivory towers from invaders. Then, we
            spend our time critiquing how these workers do their jobs.

            At least he's honest. He's also a liberal activist, very active in
            Minnesota.

            Why am I in academics? Because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd
            have to get a "real job" and create something, other than strings of
            words and "deep thoughts" on nothing at all.

            - C. S. Wyatt
            that I shall be.