Re: [existlist] Testing

  • Susan Schnelbach
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
      I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
      long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago and
      stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.

      So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?

      - Susan

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
        > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
        and
        > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
        >
        > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
        >
        > - Susan
        >

        > On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Exist List Moderator wrote:
        >
        > > On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:
        > >
        > > > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
        > > > jackets....
        > >
        > > Paranoia? On this list?
        > >
        > > - C. S. Wyatt
        > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
        all
        > > that I shall be.
        > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
        > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
        > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
        great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
        site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
        Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
        having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
        him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
        music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
        wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
        think SF has saved us. Bill

      • Susan Schnelbach
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
          Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
          be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?

          - Susan

          On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:25 AM, bhvwd wrote:

          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
          > > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
          > and
          > > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
          > >
          > > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
          > >
          > > - Susan

          > > > Paranoia? On this list?
          > > >
          > > > - C. S. Wyatt
          > > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
          > all
          > > > that I shall be.
          > > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
          > > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
          > > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
          > great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
          > site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
          > Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
          > having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
          > him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
          > music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
          > wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
          > think SF has saved us. Bill

        • Aija Veldre Beldavs
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
            so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport? why
            not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
            or whatever one is capable of ?

            aija
            > Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
            > be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?
            >
            > - Susan
          • Trinidad Cruz
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
              wrote:

              "so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
              why not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair
              racing or whatever one is capable of ?"

              aija

              What is scholarship? What is the study of something? What is a
              disciplined method of thinking? Why learn to read and write?
              Literature may be taken in only two ways by a human being: either as a
              cargo religion (i/e John Frum etc.), you know, books have (ships and
              planes deliver) answers that improve your human experience; or as the
              record of the war against free men. Whatever you write will fall
              within those two orders of reading. The real question is: can
              solidarity with one lead to solidarity with the other? Can scholarship
              elevate the "cargo" faithful to freedom? Or will the solidarity of the
              dispossessed leave the home of the free man a wasteland in a nuclear test?

              "she's a refugee,
              she's gonna come to live in …"

              tc
            • Exist List Moderator
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
                On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:24, Aija Veldre Beldavs wrote:

                > so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                > why
                > not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                > or whatever one is capable of ?

                Last week Ed Schiappa (sp?) spoke to a seminar I'm attending. Ed is a
                "pragmatist" and colleague of Cornell West and Richard Rorty. To be
                honest, reading Ed's book on Defining Reality was a challenge, but
                worth the effort -- he critiques how laws are written and interpreted
                and why we even have laws.

                My theory is we have laws because we assume other people are stupid
                and/or selfish and need to be restrained from harming the "rest of
                us" who must be smarter. You would think some laws cover things
                amazingly obvious to people, but apparently not. After all, if people
                thought Kant or the Golden Rule was right, we wouldn't need laws
                against theft or murder.

                Anyway, one of the things Ed said, much to the chagrin of the
                professor leading the seminar:

                "Academics in the humanities make a career of splitting hairs and
                arguing about definitions. Entire careers are built on debating
                meanings, not doing anything serious. I mean, come on, if I had to
                live on a farm and work, I wouldn't be arguing that the definition of
                'rape' is cultural and 'truth' is relative."

                Ed said you become an academic because you can. It's a choice to sit
                around thinking, while other people grow the food, cure disease,
                fight crime, and protect the ivory towers from invaders. Then, we
                spend our time critiquing how these workers do their jobs.

                At least he's honest. He's also a liberal activist, very active in
                Minnesota.

                Why am I in academics? Because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd
                have to get a "real job" and create something, other than strings of
                words and "deep thoughts" on nothing at all.

                - C. S. Wyatt
                that I shall be.