Re: [existlist] Testing

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
      On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:

      > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
      > jackets....

      Paranoia? On this list?

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • Susan Schnelbach
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
        I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
        long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago and
        stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.

        So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?

        - Susan

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
          > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
          and
          > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
          >
          > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
          >
          > - Susan
          >

          > On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Exist List Moderator wrote:
          >
          > > On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:
          > >
          > > > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
          > > > jackets....
          > >
          > > Paranoia? On this list?
          > >
          > > - C. S. Wyatt
          > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
          all
          > > that I shall be.
          > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
          > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
          > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
          great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
          site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
          Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
          having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
          him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
          music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
          wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
          think SF has saved us. Bill

        • Susan Schnelbach
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
            Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
            be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?

            - Susan

            On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:25 AM, bhvwd wrote:

            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
            > > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
            > and
            > > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
            > >
            > > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
            > >
            > > - Susan

            > > > Paranoia? On this list?
            > > >
            > > > - C. S. Wyatt
            > > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
            > all
            > > > that I shall be.
            > > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
            > > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
            > > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
            > great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
            > site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
            > Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
            > having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
            > him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
            > music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
            > wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
            > think SF has saved us. Bill

          • Aija Veldre Beldavs
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
              so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport? why
              not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
              or whatever one is capable of ?

              aija
              > Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
              > be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?
              >
              > - Susan
            • Trinidad Cruz
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
                wrote:

                "so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                why not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair
                racing or whatever one is capable of ?"

                aija

                What is scholarship? What is the study of something? What is a
                disciplined method of thinking? Why learn to read and write?
                Literature may be taken in only two ways by a human being: either as a
                cargo religion (i/e John Frum etc.), you know, books have (ships and
                planes deliver) answers that improve your human experience; or as the
                record of the war against free men. Whatever you write will fall
                within those two orders of reading. The real question is: can
                solidarity with one lead to solidarity with the other? Can scholarship
                elevate the "cargo" faithful to freedom? Or will the solidarity of the
                dispossessed leave the home of the free man a wasteland in a nuclear test?

                "she's a refugee,
                she's gonna come to live in …"

                tc
              • Exist List Moderator
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
                  On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:24, Aija Veldre Beldavs wrote:

                  > so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                  > why
                  > not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                  > or whatever one is capable of ?

                  Last week Ed Schiappa (sp?) spoke to a seminar I'm attending. Ed is a
                  "pragmatist" and colleague of Cornell West and Richard Rorty. To be
                  honest, reading Ed's book on Defining Reality was a challenge, but
                  worth the effort -- he critiques how laws are written and interpreted
                  and why we even have laws.

                  My theory is we have laws because we assume other people are stupid
                  and/or selfish and need to be restrained from harming the "rest of
                  us" who must be smarter. You would think some laws cover things
                  amazingly obvious to people, but apparently not. After all, if people
                  thought Kant or the Golden Rule was right, we wouldn't need laws
                  against theft or murder.

                  Anyway, one of the things Ed said, much to the chagrin of the
                  professor leading the seminar:

                  "Academics in the humanities make a career of splitting hairs and
                  arguing about definitions. Entire careers are built on debating
                  meanings, not doing anything serious. I mean, come on, if I had to
                  live on a farm and work, I wouldn't be arguing that the definition of
                  'rape' is cultural and 'truth' is relative."

                  Ed said you become an academic because you can. It's a choice to sit
                  around thinking, while other people grow the food, cure disease,
                  fight crime, and protect the ivory towers from invaders. Then, we
                  spend our time critiquing how these workers do their jobs.

                  At least he's honest. He's also a liberal activist, very active in
                  Minnesota.

                  Why am I in academics? Because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd
                  have to get a "real job" and create something, other than strings of
                  words and "deep thoughts" on nothing at all.

                  - C. S. Wyatt
                  that I shall be.