Testing

  • Susan Schnelbach
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 6 7:11 PM
      Testing. Is anyone getting messages? Or is it just quiet out there
      right now?

      - Susan

    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 6 7:16 PM
        I haven't received anything in a while.

        WS

        Testing. Is anyone getting messages? Or is it just quiet out
        there
        right now?

        - Susan

        from AOL at AOL.com.
        =0
      • Asbjørn Clemmensen
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 7 5:21 AM
          Same here -- it's been *extremely* quiet for a couple of days.

          - Asbjørn

          On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16:27PM -0500, eupraxis@... wrote:
          > I haven't received anything in a while.
          >
          > WS

        • Albert
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 7 6:57 AM
            Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in jackets; others more fortunate have cut their wrists in an attempt to "make it all end" and gone on to existlist hell.

            Albert.
            ...refusing to mention any names... :-)

            Same here -- it's been *extremely* quiet for a couple of days.

            - Asbjørn

            On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16:27PM -0500, eupraxis@... wrote:
            > I haven't received anything in a while.
            >
            > WS

          • Exist List Moderator
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8 1:17 PM
              On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:

              > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
              > jackets....

              Paranoia? On this list?

              - C. S. Wyatt
              that I shall be.
            • Susan Schnelbach
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 8 6:00 PM
                I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago and
                stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.

                So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?

                - Susan

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 9 9:25 AM
                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:

                  > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                  > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
                  and
                  > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
                  >
                  > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
                  >
                  > - Susan
                  >

                  > On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Exist List Moderator wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
                  > > > jackets....
                  > >
                  > > Paranoia? On this list?
                  > >
                  > > - C. S. Wyatt
                  > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
                  all
                  > > that I shall be.
                  > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
                  > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
                  > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
                  great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
                  site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
                  Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
                  having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
                  him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
                  music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
                  wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
                  think SF has saved us. Bill

                • Susan Schnelbach
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 11 8:40 AM
                    Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
                    be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?

                    - Susan

                    On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:25 AM, bhvwd wrote:

                    > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                    > > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
                    > and
                    > > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
                    > >
                    > > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
                    > >
                    > > - Susan

                    > > > Paranoia? On this list?
                    > > >
                    > > > - C. S. Wyatt
                    > > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
                    > all
                    > > > that I shall be.
                    > > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
                    > > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
                    > > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
                    > great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
                    > site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
                    > Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
                    > having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
                    > him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
                    > music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
                    > wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
                    > think SF has saved us. Bill

                  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11 9:24 AM
                      so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport? why
                      not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                      or whatever one is capable of ?

                      aija
                      > Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
                      > be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?
                      >
                      > - Susan
                    • Trinidad Cruz
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12 7:16 AM
                        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
                        wrote:

                        "so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                        why not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair
                        racing or whatever one is capable of ?"

                        aija

                        What is scholarship? What is the study of something? What is a
                        disciplined method of thinking? Why learn to read and write?
                        Literature may be taken in only two ways by a human being: either as a
                        cargo religion (i/e John Frum etc.), you know, books have (ships and
                        planes deliver) answers that improve your human experience; or as the
                        record of the war against free men. Whatever you write will fall
                        within those two orders of reading. The real question is: can
                        solidarity with one lead to solidarity with the other? Can scholarship
                        elevate the "cargo" faithful to freedom? Or will the solidarity of the
                        dispossessed leave the home of the free man a wasteland in a nuclear test?

                        "she's a refugee,
                        she's gonna come to live in …"

                        tc
                      • Exist List Moderator
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 13 9:16 AM
                          On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:24, Aija Veldre Beldavs wrote:

                          > so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                          > why
                          > not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                          > or whatever one is capable of ?

                          Last week Ed Schiappa (sp?) spoke to a seminar I'm attending. Ed is a
                          "pragmatist" and colleague of Cornell West and Richard Rorty. To be
                          honest, reading Ed's book on Defining Reality was a challenge, but
                          worth the effort -- he critiques how laws are written and interpreted
                          and why we even have laws.

                          My theory is we have laws because we assume other people are stupid
                          and/or selfish and need to be restrained from harming the "rest of
                          us" who must be smarter. You would think some laws cover things
                          amazingly obvious to people, but apparently not. After all, if people
                          thought Kant or the Golden Rule was right, we wouldn't need laws
                          against theft or murder.

                          Anyway, one of the things Ed said, much to the chagrin of the
                          professor leading the seminar:

                          "Academics in the humanities make a career of splitting hairs and
                          arguing about definitions. Entire careers are built on debating
                          meanings, not doing anything serious. I mean, come on, if I had to
                          live on a farm and work, I wouldn't be arguing that the definition of
                          'rape' is cultural and 'truth' is relative."

                          Ed said you become an academic because you can. It's a choice to sit
                          around thinking, while other people grow the food, cure disease,
                          fight crime, and protect the ivory towers from invaders. Then, we
                          spend our time critiquing how these workers do their jobs.

                          At least he's honest. He's also a liberal activist, very active in
                          Minnesota.

                          Why am I in academics? Because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd
                          have to get a "real job" and create something, other than strings of
                          words and "deep thoughts" on nothing at all.

                          - C. S. Wyatt
                          that I shall be.