Re: Bleak

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25 11:10 PM
      You know Bill, there is a certain kind of accuracy in calling the
      perpetrators of our present culture the "post-modernists", though I'm
      not really sure that we know if they are going to turn out to measure
      up to the assessment. They are simply too socially conservative, and
      actually almost divested of humanism or naturalism in any sense other
      than the power of name and money. I remember Saul Bellow trying to
      glue pieces of this strange historicity of the ideal of the individual
      into some cohesive picture of the state of modern literature. Tending
      toward a rather post-modern view myself, I could not entirely embrace
      it; but I have come to own one perception of it above the whole
      presentation: we are essentially in an apocalyptic age at least in the
      case of literature, the arts, the media, and so forth. The ordinary
      individual is in one way or another, peeking at the horizon and
      preparing to cover his head. This has had an effect of producing a lot
      of a kind of art in denial; a dehumanized expression of future; and an
      ordinary individual hungry for any edge at survival. In a certain
      sense this apocalyptic view has blotted out any realization that it is
      always an apocalyptic age for our species, evolved as we are toward a
      chance meandering through a fabric of simultaneous expression and
      repression. It is an apocalypse to be a human, but to look for one or
      the other is to find neither, much as Eliot rather than Bellow
      assessed Conrad, they must be expected together just as they are
      expressed and repressed. If we have failed to find meaning and fail to
      make an attempt to assure a future as a species; it is only because we
      have not yet recognized ourselves as an apocalypse. It throws off the
      timing.

      In any case I owe a debt to Iowa for taking the teeth out of the
      storm. It snowed and blustered about eight inches, all around Lake
      Geneva, but by Sunday mid-morning it was rain and thawing and now at
      midnight the flag across the street is hanging limp. Weather gets
      worse, then better, then worse, then betterÂ…

      Most people around here just want to go to work tomorrow. If something
      goes terribly wrong they'll wait for another day. Eventually we all
      run out of those, but no one wants to get worked up about it. Too much
      to do to survive with any comfort.

      There you have it.

      Trinidad