Bleak

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
      Eight hours of freezing rain yesterday followed by eight inches of wet
      snow. Then the power went out. We had a good lantern with a big supply
      of batteries. At sundown the east lit up with a weird yellow light and
      it stayed light until the lights went out at ten o'clock. Big black
      out with no lights or phone or heat. It seemed apocalyptic. I worried
      we had suffered a thermonuclear burst. then the weird light dimmed and
      the power came back on at past midnight. Many of the trees are broken
      and it takes an SUV to get around. It just started snowing again.
      Priscilla got us videos of several of the Oscar nominated movies. We
      plan to enjoy the Oscars if the power stays on. This has been a long
      siege of real bad winter. It is snowing sideways now and Priscilla has
      stopped raving and is enjoying Jack Nicholson beat the hell out of
      some mobsters. I think I will have some tea and pet the cat. People are
      in a sort of Zombie mode. All this is headed for Chicago. The wrestlers
      are stuck here from the state tournament. They usually tear up hotels,
      this could be a record year for the little vandals. And the cops are
      in an especially rare mood. It is a stretched existance in the middle
      of nowhere. Just white all the way to the pole. Bill
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
        You know Bill, there is a certain kind of accuracy in calling the
        perpetrators of our present culture the "post-modernists", though I'm
        not really sure that we know if they are going to turn out to measure
        up to the assessment. They are simply too socially conservative, and
        actually almost divested of humanism or naturalism in any sense other
        than the power of name and money. I remember Saul Bellow trying to
        glue pieces of this strange historicity of the ideal of the individual
        into some cohesive picture of the state of modern literature. Tending
        toward a rather post-modern view myself, I could not entirely embrace
        it; but I have come to own one perception of it above the whole
        presentation: we are essentially in an apocalyptic age at least in the
        case of literature, the arts, the media, and so forth. The ordinary
        individual is in one way or another, peeking at the horizon and
        preparing to cover his head. This has had an effect of producing a lot
        of a kind of art in denial; a dehumanized expression of future; and an
        ordinary individual hungry for any edge at survival. In a certain
        sense this apocalyptic view has blotted out any realization that it is
        always an apocalyptic age for our species, evolved as we are toward a
        chance meandering through a fabric of simultaneous expression and
        repression. It is an apocalypse to be a human, but to look for one or
        the other is to find neither, much as Eliot rather than Bellow
        assessed Conrad, they must be expected together just as they are
        expressed and repressed. If we have failed to find meaning and fail to
        make an attempt to assure a future as a species; it is only because we
        have not yet recognized ourselves as an apocalypse. It throws off the
        timing.

        In any case I owe a debt to Iowa for taking the teeth out of the
        storm. It snowed and blustered about eight inches, all around Lake
        Geneva, but by Sunday mid-morning it was rain and thawing and now at
        midnight the flag across the street is hanging limp. Weather gets
        worse, then better, then worse, then betterÂ…

        Most people around here just want to go to work tomorrow. If something
        goes terribly wrong they'll wait for another day. Eventually we all
        run out of those, but no one wants to get worked up about it. Too much
        to do to survive with any comfort.

        There you have it.

        Trinidad