Re: [existlist] How mad we get

  • josemanuel corleone
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
      If you take existentialism as a book of rules, wouldn't that lead to bad faith? Its like saying "the rule is to have no rules". Then one nods and agrees. For all we know, existentialism, despite the cursed and empowering ideas it provides, may still just be a misguided, incomplete paradigm of viewing life. One must be open to that possibility and keep an open mind if one is a serious philosopher. -Jim

      bhvwd <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote: If you are one of those geeps who want existentialism to be a Koran,
      a book of rules, you must be prepared to make a millennial leap, not
      of faith but of knowledge. You must master the basics of science and
      vow to continue with the quest for experimentally verifiable facts.
      Be Niche, enduring madness, and still produce coherent thought.
      I have been watching the fringe science on the net and tube. I
      understand I am programmed by Madison av to be so enthralled/then
      again the true rebellion of Jefferson screams the wake up call.
      Jefferson was a master propagandist and if you talk to Edison you
      have taken the light trip. Did you pay the boatman, and why would you
      care? You`re not going to hell, it is impossibility as Descartes
      imparts, self knowledge is necessary for Sapien status. Bill

      " by convention there is color, by convention sweetness, by convention bitterness,
      but in reality there are only atoms and space " -democritus

    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, josemanuel corleone
        <heosphoros201@...> wrote:

        "For all we know, existentialism, despite the cursed and empowering
        ideas it provides, may still just be a misguided, incomplete paradigm
        of viewing life." -Jim

        Of course it is. Human life is an incomplete condition and there is no
        paradigm for viewing human life other than an incomplete one. By the
        way, phenomenology is really just bad theoretical statistics. We all
        think as either abstract rationalists, or relativists, or pragmatists,
        or any mutation or combination thereof. Our thinking is limited by our
        condition which is limited. The existentialist is not interested in
        why or even how; just in getting on with it; and keeping the human
        being in whatever condition of limitation it is presented, as the ONLY
        edifice of its good or bad faith. Life is not meaningless - no, what
        is meaningless is the kind of thinking that believes it must find
        reasons for life to give it meaning. The existentialist eventually
        drops that crap by the side of the road, and rides into LA at
        midnight, 30 mph over the speed limit with one headlight, expired
        Indiana plates, a .38 under the seat, an open six-pack, and
        Springsteen blasting from the radio. Of course like the "Boss" sings
        it: you might end up "hand-cuffed to the bumper of a State Troopers
        Ford." The midnight ride is what it's all about. Sometimes it sucks.
        You'll have that. Hell, sometimes it's below zero and you break down
        in Ogallala NE at midnight with no gloves. America is becoming a great
        big rehab center for white people who can't understand why they don't
        like work. Work gives you the dignity to curse the weather and
        anything else you can't control without going off the deep end like a
        postman. If it makes you tired - it's meaningful.

        "some people say life is a dream,
        they making matters worse."
        tc
      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
          I can't agree with (or understand, really) the swipe at phenomenology. Bad statistics?

          WS