Re: [existlist] Re: intro to existentialism

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "star" <libbyawilliams@...> wrote:
      >
      > "1. What caused you to read your first "existential" author?"

      Seriously, I was looking for something short after reading Grapes of
      Wrath and came across Kafka. Camus and Sartre were assigned reading
      in high school; I also had to reread Kafka, which was much less fun
      as an assignment.

      My M.A. in English included a literary critique of Kafka's
      contributions to existential dilemmas in fiction. That long work was
      condensed and parts appear on The Existential Primer. For me, Kafka
      is still the most fascinating of the writers, with Camus a close
      second. Critics don't often like The Plague or The Stranger in terms
      of the writing craft, but I think they are precursors of current
      short novels.

      > "2. What do you think is the most important thing someone can take
      > away from existential thought?"

      You are responsible for your choices -- stop blaming other people,
      other circumstances, and take control. Sartre said, "By choosing, you
      choose to live." I like that notion. Camus added that men are
      responsible for not choosing, as well. They both developed that
      concept of responsibility, in slightly different ways, and I wish we
      could live by that.

      Do or don't do... you are still defining yourself.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.