Re: [existlist] Re: Oh, the genderalities!

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
      Spoken like a true agent provocateur!

      Wil

      -----Original Message-----
      From: al_d@...
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:57 AM
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Oh, the genderalities!

      Though I am admittedly influenced by the works of Freud, I would define a neurotic reaction simply as one not appropriate to the situation. For example, if someone were to make a joke and another were to insult the one who made the joke; we might say that this reaction is un-called for, unjustified and perhaps if repeated neurotic.

      What say you L. ?

      A.

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
        I would say that the underlying {philosophical} presuppositions of
        your statement ought to be brought to light and examined. A
        Socratic approach, again. Only in recent days, I myself was accused
        of 'perfecting the art of insult' (phrase from memory}, yet am quite
        sure that the insult was unintended and by definition, accordingly,
        not an instance of any purposive art. What is an insult? When is a
        joke an insult? Who decides? I am not particularly acquainted with
        the works of Freud, and am not convinced that, even were I to make a
        careful study of his theories, I should find the prevailing rules of
        social discourse any less baffling.

        L.

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

        > Though I am admittedly influenced by the works of Freud, I would
        define a neurotic reaction simply as one not appropriate to the
        situation. For example, if someone were to make a joke and another
        were to insult the one who made the joke; we might say that this
        reaction is un-called for, unjustified and perhaps if repeated
        neurotic.

        > What say you L. ?
        >
        > A.

        1/28/2007 1:12 PM

      • Albert
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
          Might you not be rationalising here Louise ? Was Mary's statement really that inappropriate given the circumstance ?

          A.

          I would say that the underlying {philosophical} presuppositions of
          your statement ought to be brought to light and examined. A
          Socratic approach, again. Only in recent days, I myself was accused
          of 'perfecting the art of insult' (phrase from memory}, yet am quite
          sure that the insult was unintended and by definition, accordingly,
          not an instance of any purposive art. What is an insult? When is a
          joke an insult? Who decides? I am not particularly acquainted with
          the works of Freud, and am not convinced that, even were I to make a
          careful study of his theories, I should find the prevailing rules of
          social discourse any less baffling.

          L.

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

          > Though I am admittedly influenced by the works of Freud, I would
          define a neurotic reaction simply as one not appropriate to the
          situation. For example, if someone were to make a joke and another
          were to insult the one who made the joke; we might say that this
          reaction is un-called for, unjustified and perhaps if repeated
          neurotic.

          > What say you L. ?
          >
          > A.

          1/28/2007 1:12 PM

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
            How can I tell, until I know what her statement means? What was
            offensive, in the first place, about my message #40522? I have
            never concealed my commitment to further understanding, and
            realising, the interpretations of human life presented in the works
            of Soren Kierkegaard, and the aforesaid message was a fairly
            orthodox presentation of existential strenuousness, brought to
            culmination, for instance, in "Concluding Unscientific Postscript".
            It is true, though, that I never did make much progress at the list
            in obtaining a hearing for these ideas, something which continues to
            trouble me.

            Date:
            > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

            1/28/2007 1:12 PM

          • Albert
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
              Louise, I do not want to start an argument. You did not express your frustration as a new post, you replied to Mary. Since the primary purpose of existlist is to discuss existentialism, Mary's statement clearly not living up to your expectation here, your reiteration of what you perceive the be the purpose of this list to be can be perceived as 'being nasty' toward Mary. You have essentially told her that her that her statement is out of place. This is an unadulterated attack and I cannot understand how you fail to see this.
              If a young girl at school were to compliment her teachers attire, it would not be expected for the teacher to remind her pupil that the purpose of school was to learn!

              A.

              Date:
              > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

              1/28/2007 1:12 PM

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
                Quid erat demonstratum.

                Date:
                > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                1/28/2007 1:12 PM

              • Albert
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
                  Thank you Wil.

                  A.

                  Date:
                  > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                  1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
                    Well, at least two of you understand. That should be good enough.
                    If I upset Mary, I'm sorry. Don't follow the reasonings, however.
                    Perception is not reality, and perception is disputable. It may be
                    that this list is not after all a suitable venue in which to offer
                    my thoughts. I shall ponder.

                    L.

                    Date:

                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007
                      L,

                      You are a long-standing member (longer than myself, for sure), and most of us 'know' each other's MO. We all have our quirks and moods, including myself. Don't fret over it, I would say.

                      WS

                      Date:
                      > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                    • Albert
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 30, 2007
                        Wil. Before you consider your point proven, I suppose there is no validity in the below ?

                        A.

                        Date:
                        > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                        1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 30, 2007
                          Sure. I was merely advising against a case of diminishing returns: discussions that go nowhere and which have no other outcome than to frazzle the nerves of ... whomever.

                          Wil

                          Date:
                          > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                          1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                        • Albert
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 30, 2007
                            Also true...

                            A.

                            Date:
                            > 1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                            1/28/2007 1:12 PM

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 31, 2007
                              Silence seems to be reigning at present. It is also perilous to
                              simplify what is complex. I for one do not wish an atmosphere of
                              the Sunday school to prevail at this list. Louise

                              Date:

                            • eupraxis@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 31, 2007
                                > It is also perilous to simplify what is complex. I for one do not wish an
                                > atmosphere of the Sunday school to prevail at this list. Louise

                                Nothing complex about it. But I am sure that you would agree that we would
                                all be better off speaking about philosophical matters than personal things.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 31, 2007
                                  Wil, I was being ironic when I commented that it was all right that
                                  at least you and Albert understood whatever you were talking about.
                                  As I did not know, it is clearly not simple to me. Hoping that you
                                  were both being gallant, I decided to apologise to Mary, in case she
                                  felt aggrieved or otherwise not happy about what I had written.
                                  Would much prefer it, of course, if Mary and I might clear up these
                                  things between ourselves, should they arise. For years I have
                                  wanted to avoid discussion of personal things. Philosophy is deeply
                                  important to me, and I live out my apprehension of philosophical
                                  ideas in existential manner. Hence the complications arising from
                                  discussion at an academic list, where a more objective approach than
                                  comes easily to me does tend to prevail. What has amazed me is the
                                  level of abuse which issues from some who write at the list when one
                                  does not conform to preconceived standards that appear anything but
                                  clear, at least to an outsider like myself. Louise

                                • eupraxis@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 31, 2007
                                    L,

                                    Understood.