perseverance

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2007
      How to speak in a civilised manner about brutal reality? A certain
      distance is requisite. Traditional social conventions, made
      habitual and internalised, represent one practical route for a
      collective social re-education that is not totalitarian in form.
      Only in a context that allows for intellectual and aesthetic risk,
      for existential passion, is this likely to enthuse the young. I
      write in abstract mode, doodling possibilities, as it were. The
      practical problems are so immense. Soldiers must fight, of course;
      the rest of us are charged with a task of creation, of building up.
      First of all, one must be able to lean with one's entire being, with
      the history of what one has become, on that which one believes to be
      worth doing, ready to go down with the ship if it were all folly.
      Plenty of opportunity for vanity there, of course. The right kind
      of caution, with the boldness to attempt the new, is requisite. All
      quite moralist in expression, a sign that ideas have been
      exhausted. Nature renews herself, however. Sartre is no longer
      sitting in the cafe. Existlist is our salon. We are free to bring
      our learning here, our visions for a future we might still call
      civilised. I don't feel much at present, but am confident there is
      still hope, in the midst of the nightmare. Unexamined passion is
      the menace. So I still believe in Enlightenment values. Louise