Re: [existlist] Learning and retention

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      I have gotten to the point, these decades after the decades of 'formal education', of realizing that I have forgotten more texts than I have retained, that I have to reread things first encountered when I was pretty young. It sometimes zooms me back to those years. I remember how much I really loved the readings.

      It was only at Grad School that I was forced to study texts that I really hated (analytical philosophy and 'logic'). Those aside (and they have been laid aside ever since), I have to say that heady reading and writing are among the few things that still float my boat. They have made me something of a contrarian, it is true, but there is a lot to be contrary about.

      The shame is that we (Americans, that is) are not valued in our society for our intellectual struggles or accomplishments (unless it makes us a lot of money, which is a rare event). In fact, the American anti-intellectual bias has not been this blatant since Adlai Stevenson was trounced for being an "egghead". Sorry to see Louise go. Bill, thanks for the nice words. Wil