Against fear

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
      Am currently hiding from eduard at Nooism group, so shall publish my
      New Year's resolutions at existlist.

      (1) read four books:
      (a) Homer's Iliad
      (b) Homer's Odyssey
      (c) Aristophanes' The Birds
      (d) The Greek Anthology, Vol.III [Loeb]

      (2) go on holiday (destination with-held)

      (3) my book will be ready for submission by the tenth month [October]

      Long live infatuation! You are cordially invited to the great feast.
      Wine, women and song in perpetuity.

      Ariel
      ... palely flitting
    • Knott
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
        > Am currently hiding from eduard at Nooism group, so shall publish my
        > New Year's resolutions at existlist.

        le Duard continues his stand against all that is or is not, I see.

        > (1) read four books:
        > (a) Homer's Iliad
        > (b) Homer's Odyssey
        > (c) Aristophanes' The Birds
        > (d) The Greek Anthology, Vol.III [Loeb]

        do you have fun?

        > (2) go on holiday (destination with-held)

        Mine would be to 'live' on holiday, i think...

        > (3) my book will be ready for submission by the tenth month [October]

        Not to make you repeat what might be elsewhere, but have you a topic, genre, title,
        language, publisher? If not the latter, are you writing on a prayr?

        Tom B. Kattoutabag
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006

          > > Am currently hiding from eduard at Nooism group, so shall
          publish my
          > > New Year's resolutions at existlist.
          >
          > le Duard continues his stand against all that is or is not, I see.

          that's not a nice name - we discussed all this before. your
          interpretation seems curiously suspended in vacuum. fear should not
          be an enemy, and my experience of eduard's kindness and wit does not
          persuade me to accept your implied association. though i may have
          misunderstood your drift.

          > > (1) read four books:
          > > (a) Homer's Iliad
          > > (b) Homer's Odyssey
          > > (c) Aristophanes' The Birds
          > > (d) The Greek Anthology, Vol.III [Loeb]
          >
          > do you have fun?

          the precondition for fun is freedom. it has taken so long, to toss
          religion and its offshoots from the window, i intend to enjoy
          myself, yes.

          > > (2) go on holiday (destination with-held)
          >
          > Mine would be to 'live' on holiday, i think...
          >
          > > (3) my book will be ready for submission by the tenth month
          [October]

          > Not to make you repeat what might be elsewhere, but have you a
          topic, genre, title,
          > language, publisher? If not the latter, are you writing on a prayr?

          usual practice. need to know. keep it under the hat.

          [boxed feline]

          > Tom B. Kattoutabag

        • Knott
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
            > that's not a nice name - we discussed all this before.

            Forgive me, I forget. He has frozen in my mind from past experience. It is possible he has
            changed...but i estimate the liklihood as limited.

            > usual practice. need to know. keep it under the hat.

            In my practice, keeping things under a hat is hiding them.

            Aunt Pos Terior
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
              Louise, I trust there's an editor under the hat. Writing without one is
              harrowing, but reading an unedited book is embarrassing for both the
              writer and publisher. I just reviewed a book which was rife with typos;
              and I was especially surprised since the publishers are English, my
              naivete for base assumptions, I suppose. Anyway, best wishes for your
              endeavor.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
                > In my practice, keeping things under a hat is hiding them.

                Once entered upon the philosophical territory characteristic of
                existlist controversy, even a simple artless statement of intent may
                be transmuted by what Kierkegaard's pseudonym Johannes Climacus called
                irony of situation; the words may accordingly in that case seem
                disingenuous, insensitive, or callous. Or just in need of further
                clarification. Having noticed the hanging clause with which I opened
                this ponderous comment, I retire from the field. Wondering. What is
                to come. New Year. Symbolic for some. Variously.

                Louise