Re: [existlist] "THE PURPOSE?"

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      On Dec 04, 2006, at 21:33, Mario wrote:

      > Hmmm...I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum to discuss this
      > kind of matter, but I thought I would give it a go since there
      > seems to
      > be so few existentialistic active forums.
      >
      > I may be a half century old, but I've always wondered, ever since I
      > can
      > remember as a young boy, the purpose of going through life acquiring
      > education, material wealth, family...to eventually leave everything
      > behind. Yes, yes, I know, there may well be Spiritual answers...but
      > somehow, I've never really been satisfied with those answers. It does
      > seems pointless to me, anyways. Yes, enjoy the present moment...but
      > nothing lasts "forever".
      >
      > Let's see what some of you have to say.

      Existentialism is the suggesting that we each need to develop our own
      answers for why we exist and what we will do with this life. If we
      remove directions from any deity, any social constructions, we are
      left to decide everything for ourselves.

      How you decide can be a mix of anything that seems to work for you.
      Kierkegaard would suggest you eventually accept you cannot know; so
      he took a "leap of faith" and decided to pursue Christian ethics.
      Sartre moved towards humanism, communism, and a mix of social
      democracy by the end of his life. (Hell might be other people, but in
      the end people are all we have.)

      I guess what I am suggesting is the answer is personal and not
      something anyone can offer to you. That means a lot of people are
      unhappy with philosophy -- they want philosophy to give answers and
      explanation, while most Continental thought doesn't give guidelines
      for finding "the good life" or something like transcendence.

      Hard to know if this helps or not. I just do what works for and hope
      life is okay along the way.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • Mario
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        Thank you for the "food for thought" reply.

        I will certainly have to weight your expose a little more.

        Thanks!

        Mario
        existlist@yahoogroups.com, Exist List Moderator <existlist1@...>