Re: My take on rambling and being clear

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 1, 2006
      > Thanks for your suggestions for me to
      > use less words so that it's nots so easy to
      > argue with me. Is that what's it's about winning arguments ?

      No, it is about attempting to be clear. And I believe I am not the
      only one who suggested you are not.

      Knott
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 1, 2006
        Often I fail to answer because I'm teaching one rhetoric course,
        preparing a proposal for another, and taking my last few courses for
        a FUD (or Piled Higher and Deeper). I also tend not to answer
        messages that are longer than student responses in my courses.

        Poe said that the problem with long poetry was it danced about the
        words, obscuring any intention. I tell my students, just because I
        asked for ten pages doesn't mean you should fill ten pages if you
        have nothing more to express after five. Say what you need to say,
        then STOP speaking or writing!

        Maybe I have a short attention span, too.

        - CSW