Ending the Semester

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2006
      As the semester ends in a mere three weeks, shortened by a week by
      administrators responding to student and parental demands, I will
      attempt to get the introductory pages to The Existential Primer
      updated with the histories and studies of Continental Philosophy I
      have been reading and marking.

      I'm not teaching during the spring, so I might be able to participate
      a tad more and keep things focused on the notions of Continental
      Philosophy, Phenomenology and Existentialism in particular.

      The historical information might prove to be a good grounding for
      discussions. The split following WWII between the Austrian/German
      roots of C.P. and the French influence after the war has me
      intrigued. I am pondering if the split was politically a move against
      all things German or if it was based on the persuasive power of the
      "radicals" in France through the 1970s.

      Historically, I think many of the Germans have taken a lot of
      criticism that if both deserved in many cases and undeserved in
      others. I definitely think Nietzsche was not a Nazi -- that's a
      complete distortion of his beliefs and even his rejection of his
      sister's choices. However, Heidegger is a problem for me and clearly
      a Nazi sympathizer despite excuses offered on his behalf.

      Anyway, that's what I'm planning to update before returning to
      individual thinkers.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.