Fw: [existlist] The ox nods

  • Christopher Knoepfle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
      Or rather I should say "first and foremost" the Eucharist.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
        The adversary:

        Actually, it's the Sacraments in general that function as the required signposts in Catholicism. To not understand that is to miss Catechism (sp). Protest ants have their own variations on these apriori themes. To look at Socrates is to pay tribute to and most ironically to be witnessed.(in one's own reading for God's sake) as someone who employs measurement. But the Church in the form of Sacraments already has in place ports of call as it were. The two are not the same. Socrates enforces truth by his own participation even when it appears he does not. The Sacraments mark life at various stages for those initiated into the Church. The joint expression of these concerns informs much of the finest Christian expression - St Gregory on Pastoral Care in this regard presents one of myriad counterweights to Plato. His is special because it gives an exemplar of a Socratic Christian, not by skill of prose or even argument, but more primally via a nose for consequence that
        informs Socrates own interactons in the dialogues. In other words St Gregory measures life from where one is to where one can possibly be, but to do this in pastoral care is to work often from a place of great pain, because again and again by vocation, the pastor finds the humanity, which marks the difference between the person as he was or might have been and as he is now. This primacy is what Kirkegagaard must be addressing; it requires the simplest of tools. I have never read any of the Dane's work, but I am amazed at the way the current pope tags science with a similar cunning for the measured, which must be the human something not slow but which nonetheless has a pace suited to its own best expression (the aesthetic here is progeny), and thus of the opportunity for commune with God.

        Stranger still is the reduction of male sperm potency among men who use a cell phone more the 4 hours a day. That result is anti-Christian by charter yet only anti-science by funding opportunity. Can you exist with this result? For awhile but progeny is at stake here.