Plato

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006
      ~ Is it not strange that Plato in his "Republic" wants to have the poets expelled from the state, frequently attacks "the poets" in various ways, and yet actually was himself a poet, or a thinker who was predominantly poetic.
      It is also strange that this is not an earlier stage and the crucial ethical stage a later one. Alas, no, it is the reverse. It is a reverse *metabasis eis allo genos* [change into another kind]. It is reminiscent of Socrates, who was himself actually an ethicist and was right in wanting to be rid of the "poet". In the second generation (Plato) there is such regression that Plato is the poet who wants to be rid of the "poet"; he poetizes wanting to be rid of the poet - so far has it gone in reverse.
      Some words of Aristippus (in Wieland's *Aristipp und Seine Zeit*, IV, p34), where he speaks of Plato's "Republic", have impressed me: "You demand," he writes, "my opinion of this new poetizing* by our avowed poet-enemies."
      This aspect of Plato has always been significant to me personally as well. I have always recognized that there is a poetic strain in me. But in me there is a struggling forward. I do not spontaneously imitate a Socrates and let the matter regress. No, in the boundless turbulence of the religious I am one position ahead. I point out the turn, the swing, which has to be made; but almost collapsing myself under the enormous intellectual task of clearing the terrain, I point out the simple ethical existence as the higher life. ~

      [not dated, 1850]

      "Soren Kierkegaard's Journals and Papers", Vol.3 [p527],
      tr. H.V. & E.H. Hong, Indiana U.P. 1975.

      responsible for replication,

      amanuensis hortensis

    • Christopher Knoepfle
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006