Re: [existlist] Wil, 'The question'

  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
      Wil:

      > Freedom, taken logically beyond just someone's freedom to everyone's
      > freedom, and to the liberation of those in need of it, would of course
      > be anathematic to authoritarianism.

      i don't see this next step to everyone else's freedom covered by
      existentialism within my own very limited theoretical reading or in much
      of the practice within this list. i do see it covered in ethical systems
      that take into account both the laws of nature and human ability to
      reflect in addition to the experience of loving care, which one gets from
      close others, especially in infancy, but also importantly in adolescence
      and throughout life.

      > That said, if one were an authoritarian, one would oneself have existential
      > issues, so I guess one could write a limited kind of existentialism for
      > sadists, bullies, dictators and the like -- but, outside of writing from the
      > Nuremburg trials, I haven't seen anything like that as yet.

      i don't see the usefulness of, for instance, labeling as "totalitarian"
      Fibonacci-patterned decisions, but maybe i'm misreading what you are
      trying to say.

      aija
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
        If a philosophical position avows everyone's freedom, it couldn't then avow an authoritarian position (which presumably denies that freedom) and be consistent.

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2006
          > If a philosophical position avows everyone's freedom, it couldn't then
          > avow an authoritarian position (which presumably denies that freedom)
          > and be consistent. W

          yup, that's the theory, that's the logic. but most people don't
          spend much time in sheltered academic toy logic worlds.

          the great social experiments sure didn't test out in practice the last
          century but they killed millions, displaced millions more, tore up
          communities that had ecologically developed somewhat more gently over
          time, and left a significant number of the descendants of those who
          survived poisoned in spirit as well as body.

          never mind that today it is not considered ethical to experiment on human
          beings without serious limits, such as involving informed consent. in the
          last century, never mind the ethics, it didn't work out for practical
          reasons either to say nothing of some fundamental logical flaws in those
          perfect theories.

          course that doesn't seem to stop a lot of those who have power to change.
          nothing much does cause nature hasn't hit humanity with full force as yet.
          for now some can play at gods accountable to no one.

          aija
        • Christopher Knoepfle
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 4, 2006
            no ante.

            The Maestro's Astrology (available at lulu.com)- a 238pp demonstration of Plato's framework of divination, complete with a working example.

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2006
              aija,

              [yup, that's the theory, that's the logic. but most people don't spend much
              time in sheltered academic toy logic worlds.]

              Well, that would explain why it I haven't gone on a date for some time. Gee,
              who could have guessed that it was I who was playing hard to get all along?!?

              [the great social experiments sure didn't test out in practice the last
              century but they killed millions, displaced millions more, tore up
              communities that had ecologically developed somewhat more gently over
              time, and left a significant number of the descendants of those who
              survived poisoned in spirit as well as body.]

              Yes, and Bush says that he has read Camus, as well as a few "Shakespeares"
              this Summer. Theory rarely makes a difference on the practices of despots. But
              we, here, are not despots, so why should we think like them? The logic has to
              count for something. What could the meaning of justice be if that were not so?

              [never mind that today it is not considered ethical to experiment on human
              beings without serious limits, such as involving informed consent. in the
              last century, never mind the ethics, it didn't work out for practical
              reasons either to say nothing of some fundamental logical flaws in those
              perfect theories.

              course that doesn't seem to stop a lot of those who have power to change.
              nothing much does cause nature hasn't hit humanity with full force as yet.
              for now some can play at gods accountable to no one.]

              If I understand you correctly, you have a few nodding heads: Hegel said that
              logic is faith (in his early criticism of Kant's assumption to the contrary);
              Nietzsche said that it is "optimism". There is a true, but cold, insight in
              what you say here. But what are WE to do?

              Deconstruction was a failure precisely because it undercut the requirement,
              even of its critics, to be intellectually ("logocentrically) honest. A bad
              move, I think. Just because we know Cartesian expectations to have been
              overweening shouldn't lead us to any resignation.

              Wil

              In a message dated 11/4/06 1:20:22 PM, beldavsa@... writes:

              > yup, that's the theory, that's the logic. but most people don't
              > spend much time in sheltered academic toy logic worlds.
              >
              > the great social experiments sure didn't test out in practice the last
              > century but they killed millions, displaced millions more, tore up
              > communities that had ecologically developed somewhat more gently over
              > time, and left a significant number of the descendants of those who
              > survived poisoned in spirit as well as body.
              >
              > never mind that today it is not considered ethical to experiment on human
              > beings without serious limits, such as involving informed consent. in the
              > last century, never mind the ethics, it didn't work out for practical
              > reasons either to say nothing of some fundamental logical flaws in those
              > perfect theories.
              >
              > course that doesn't seem to stop a lot of those who have power to change.
              > nothing much does cause nature hasn't hit humanity with full force as yet.
              > for now some can play at gods accountable to no one.
              >
              > aija

            • James Johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                Wil,

                How do you define radical freedom ? How would your individual ( subjective )
                expression of freedom/choice not be anathematic to my individual ( subjective )
                expression of my freedom/choice ? ?
                With subjectivism being a center point in Extentialism, how and who decides what
                subjective view is ' more' correct between us or a large group ? ? If you or me were in
                conflict as to what is the right interpretation or what the correct actions to take, don't you
                think the ' I am whatever I am ' would sprout authoriatarinism ? Because you did
                mentioned that due to the encouragement of radical freedom in Existentialism,
                authoritarianism would/should be anathematic to Existentialism. Do we have
                responsiblities between us ?
                > And again with subjectivity being the viewpoint of understanding reality, how
                can ' academic formulations' be expressed as deeds/actions and not just words or
                opinions ? And with the desire to open the philosophical discussion to the public at large
                what is the practical value of 'academic' discussions to the public at large ? Academia
                seems anathematic to generalities.

                Jay

              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                  [How would your individual (subjective) expression of freedom/choice not be
                  anathematic to my individual (subjective) expression of my freedom/choice?]

                  Maybe it would. Life has no guarantees.

                  [With subjectivism being a center point in Existentialism, how and who
                  decides what
                  subjective view is ' more' correct between us or a large group?]

                  There is no automatic answer. Philosophy, or in this case Existentialism in
                  particular, is a large body of writing that, over the span of time, has built
                  up arguments and points of view, some of them diverse. No one ever said that
                  anyone could learn to be an absolute or perfect arbiter. But because there is no
                  transcendental canon of truth doesn't mean that one should have no sense of
                  value at all.

                  [If you or me were in conflict as to what is the right interpretation or what
                  the correct actions to take, don't you think the ' I am whatever I am ' would
                  sprout authoritarianism?]

                  You have me mistaken for someone else. That is not my line.

                  [Because you did mentioned that due to the encouragement of radical freedom
                  in Existentialism, authoritarianism would/should be anathematic to
                  Existentialism.]

                  No, you have that wrong, sorry. What I said was, "Freedom, taken logically
                  beyond just someone's freedom to everyone's freedom, and to the liberation of
                  those in need of it, would of course be anathematic to authoritarianism." It is
                  a matter of logical consistency.

                  WS

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 10, 2006
                    Forgive my sloth. This past week has been a whirlwind, now nearly past.

                    "I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men
                    have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand
                    years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even
                    when the former is dangerous and the latter safe... I believe that any
                    man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to
                    become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however
                    slight the measure, is bound to become a slave."

                    H. L. Mencken

                    It seems Nietzsche understood this better than either Kierkegaard or
                    Sartre, philosophically speaking. And of course, not much can free us
                    from our own perception(s).

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 10, 2006
                      Mary,

                      What is this about forgiveness? At existlist? My inertia must do
                      battle with your sloth. We need Kierkegaard, to delineate the
                      difference between liberty and freedom, in a more extended field
                      than is attempted by Nietzsche. Still, that assertion is as bald
                      and unsubstantiated as your own. If danger fosters the rescuing
                      power, as Holderlin relates, so may exhaustion summon forth faith.
                      In that process I trust, and wish to make good my claims in the
                      fullness of time. Bill has opined that the present does not respect
                      the past, and I guess that from where I stand such a tendency,
                      though scarce believable to one of my persuasion, represents the
                      kind of despair from which the Dane shows the way to deliverance.

                      Louise