Re: koo-koo-ka-choo

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 30, 2006
      Mary, I accept this statement at face value from you, because you are
      a truthful person. However, I frequently do not understand specific
      references within your and other posts, only partly on grounds of
      nationality, for instance. I was attempting to raise a more general
      point, about the capacity for deception and hostility built into the
      very nature of language, created and received by human minds. At
      existlist we have periodically visited this set of topics. I suppose
      it draws in relationship between physical and mental realities
      ("sticks and stones may break my bones, etc.") as well as questions of
      ethnic and cultural diversity, reflected in linguistic structure, what
      translation does with that, and attendant implications for communal
      governance, which involves far more than politics and administration
      generally. There are scientific, and especially psychiatric,
      interpretations of what kinds of speaking are acceptable, which
      sometimes find their way into formal law. Personally I suspect that
      global warming is caused by fear, mediated by rumour. That, however,
      is a difficult one to prove. Just throwing out a hypothesis at this
      stage. Louise