Re: ive no idea

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      I still think it's a question of grasping limitation. Without certain
      facts we can only live in what seems to be, and wait and see if it is.
      Dawkins puts it that our brain is only equipped to grasp a
      "middle-sized" existence; the whole of it is beyond our grasp, but
      given that, our brain should be evolving toward greater view.I like
      Dennett's idea; because we are manufactured in certain processes
      through responses to DNA the chance remains that something different
      (speciation) could occur at any time; but considering the imposition
      of social environment upon sytemic development it seems to me that the
      odds are overwhelmingly against such an event, i/e if indeed the herd
      produces smaller brains over time. Philosophy is too communally
      recidivistic to produce any stimulation forward. Often prisoners here
      find it easier to rip the chains out of the wall (leaving a damaged
      edifice) rather than remove them from their wrists. Latency continues.
      It may be that we have to wait until they rust off. I guess the
      question is: "Does swimming upstream have any effect on the flow of
      the river?" I can only answer: "Probably, but you get so tired, that
      it generally only does someone else any good." I guess one needs to
      stop for a shore lunch now and then. This becomes a problem for those
      of us wired for endurance. We forget to.

      Anyway, have you seen Dawkins' new web site?
      http://richarddawkins.net/
      Videos and stuff. Decent. I am re-reading "Freedom Evolves" right now
      and have found Dennett's take on the Kane material newly insightful.

      light like a feather, heavy as lead
      Trinidad

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <agignesthai@...> wrote:

      > When passion is numbed by the world, ideas come along and help us feel
      > alive, but they fly back to the hive when desire can no longer be
      > denied. To breathe, to eat, to work - no ideas there but the practical.
      > Did you know that what's in your mind is already in your body? There's
      > nothing to drive home. It's already there. Do you strive to harness
      > what is free, and make it a curse? Will your philosophy bleed, will it
      > thrive? Are ideas real or something worse? We may see them fall, one by
      > one, because we are not ideas. We turn others into ideas, instead of
      > feeling awe in simply being, the misery, the joy, all of it. We don't
      > go backward or forward with any confidence. Leave the ideas to those
      > who are too busy dying. It's really just a matter of time and space,
      > basic geometry, like all ideas. Stand, well at least until you fall.
      > And when you can't get up, or nobody helps you, or you don't want to,
      > we could blame all of that on ideas. Got a better one?
      >
      > Mary

    • Knott
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        > When passion is numbed by the world,
        > ideas come along and help us feel
        > alive...we don't
        > go backward or forward with any confidence.
        > we could blame all of that on ideas.
        > Got a better one?

        I'm not sure if I am countering or agreeing. It seems to me that
        persuit of absolute understanding and perfect knowledge -- perhaps
        called fact -- is more the culprit to numb, lose feeling, fail to
        act, lose confidence, create a source for blame.

        I find letting go of everything but interest allows more than fact
        and being assured...one can make gleeful mistakes, childish
        exploration, penetrating contradictions, and villiage idiot
        proclamations from a fence-sitting vantage of knott knowing, where
        those who know already seem to have too much reason to stop, and too
        much bottled (and stoppered) possibility.

        Peddlingback Yet Goingforward, 1/3
      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          Dawkins' latest isn't too bad either, if you are interested in a full attack on religion.

          WS

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
            Yes, I suppose that's a cleaner perspective, that ideas don't have to
            include facts. Interest is similar to following one's bliss, and who
            knows where that will lead? A sweet tooth can land you on Willy
            Wonka's boat tour. Like who knew that Charlie would be so pure of
            heart? Existentialism is nothing, if not adventurous.