ive no idea

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      When passion is numbed by the world, ideas come along and help us feel
      alive, but they fly back to the hive when desire can no longer be
      denied. To breathe, to eat, to work - no ideas there but the practical.
      Did you know that what's in your mind is already in your body? There's
      nothing to drive home. It's already there. Do you strive to harness
      what is free, and make it a curse? Will your philosophy bleed, will it
      thrive? Are ideas real or something worse? We may see them fall, one by
      one, because we are not ideas. We turn others into ideas, instead of
      feeling awe in simply being, the misery, the joy, all of it. We don't
      go backward or forward with any confidence. Leave the ideas to those
      who are too busy dying. It's really just a matter of time and space,
      basic geometry, like all ideas. Stand, well at least until you fall.
      And when you can't get up, or nobody helps you, or you don't want to,
      we could blame all of that on ideas. Got a better one?

      Mary
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        I still think it's a question of grasping limitation. Without certain
        facts we can only live in what seems to be, and wait and see if it is.
        Dawkins puts it that our brain is only equipped to grasp a
        "middle-sized" existence; the whole of it is beyond our grasp, but
        given that, our brain should be evolving toward greater view.I like
        Dennett's idea; because we are manufactured in certain processes
        through responses to DNA the chance remains that something different
        (speciation) could occur at any time; but considering the imposition
        of social environment upon sytemic development it seems to me that the
        odds are overwhelmingly against such an event, i/e if indeed the herd
        produces smaller brains over time. Philosophy is too communally
        recidivistic to produce any stimulation forward. Often prisoners here
        find it easier to rip the chains out of the wall (leaving a damaged
        edifice) rather than remove them from their wrists. Latency continues.
        It may be that we have to wait until they rust off. I guess the
        question is: "Does swimming upstream have any effect on the flow of
        the river?" I can only answer: "Probably, but you get so tired, that
        it generally only does someone else any good." I guess one needs to
        stop for a shore lunch now and then. This becomes a problem for those
        of us wired for endurance. We forget to.

        Anyway, have you seen Dawkins' new web site?
        http://richarddawkins.net/
        Videos and stuff. Decent. I am re-reading "Freedom Evolves" right now
        and have found Dennett's take on the Kane material newly insightful.

        light like a feather, heavy as lead
        Trinidad

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <agignesthai@...> wrote:

        > When passion is numbed by the world, ideas come along and help us feel
        > alive, but they fly back to the hive when desire can no longer be
        > denied. To breathe, to eat, to work - no ideas there but the practical.
        > Did you know that what's in your mind is already in your body? There's
        > nothing to drive home. It's already there. Do you strive to harness
        > what is free, and make it a curse? Will your philosophy bleed, will it
        > thrive? Are ideas real or something worse? We may see them fall, one by
        > one, because we are not ideas. We turn others into ideas, instead of
        > feeling awe in simply being, the misery, the joy, all of it. We don't
        > go backward or forward with any confidence. Leave the ideas to those
        > who are too busy dying. It's really just a matter of time and space,
        > basic geometry, like all ideas. Stand, well at least until you fall.
        > And when you can't get up, or nobody helps you, or you don't want to,
        > we could blame all of that on ideas. Got a better one?
        >
        > Mary

      • Knott
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          > When passion is numbed by the world,
          > ideas come along and help us feel
          > alive...we don't
          > go backward or forward with any confidence.
          > we could blame all of that on ideas.
          > Got a better one?

          I'm not sure if I am countering or agreeing. It seems to me that
          persuit of absolute understanding and perfect knowledge -- perhaps
          called fact -- is more the culprit to numb, lose feeling, fail to
          act, lose confidence, create a source for blame.

          I find letting go of everything but interest allows more than fact
          and being assured...one can make gleeful mistakes, childish
          exploration, penetrating contradictions, and villiage idiot
          proclamations from a fence-sitting vantage of knott knowing, where
          those who know already seem to have too much reason to stop, and too
          much bottled (and stoppered) possibility.

          Peddlingback Yet Goingforward, 1/3
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
            Dawkins' latest isn't too bad either, if you are interested in a full attack on religion.

            WS

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
              Yes, I suppose that's a cleaner perspective, that ideas don't have to
              include facts. Interest is similar to following one's bliss, and who
              knows where that will lead? A sweet tooth can land you on Willy
              Wonka's boat tour. Like who knew that Charlie would be so pure of
              heart? Existentialism is nothing, if not adventurous.