Re: [existlist] existentialism

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 275 , Oct 3, 2006
      L,

      It has only been over the past six years or so that I have been such so
      rabidly anti-religion. It would be disingenuous of me to pretend that my revulsion
      is not of a piece with my revulsion for the Right. (I will put off my
      revulsion of the Left for the time being.) While I have always maintained a sharp
      skepticism about any of the strong claims of religion and theology, it is only
      now, with the growth of anti-science, anti liberal-democracy types that I have
      become startled by Belief. It isn't that I "hate" religion or that I pass off
      the subject with a chuckle. Rather I am afraid of Religion. When the South talks
      about another Great Awakening, it can only end in tragedy like it always has.

      Still, as someone who respects the basic insights of Existentialism in its
      philosophical forms, including Negative Theology and Death of God theology, and
      other interesting and imaginative dialogues on the question of the 'soul', I
      realize that I have sometimes made short shrift of some of the things that you
      have suggested. Every word sometimes seems like the front lines of a war, but
      usually they are just joists without any real empathy for the person(s) at the
      other side.

      Wil

      In a message dated 10/3/06 7:43:38 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:

      > Ok, so I don't like the term, yet find myself stuck with its
      > associations. This is existlist, after all. My instinct is to
      > reach out first for what is concrete, that is, individual
      > existence. I am a self acquainted with my own body, which both is,
      > and includes, the mind. That body/mind subsists in several domains
      > of reality, discriminated by reflective categorial thought. In my
      > frustration at the form taken by some political commentary here -
      > hubristically cool overviews or prejudicial dismissals - I may have
      > swung to a reactive extreme, that of denying relevance of politics
      > to existential discussion. Science, as I have stated several times,
      > is not one of my interests. In poetry, in music, in the dialectical
      > pseudonymous writing of Kierkegaard and the cleanly based rhetorical
      > passion of Nietzsche, I find my repeated beginnings. A pure
      > philosopher, however, like Heidegger, for whom politics seems so
      > obviously a practical irritant, rather than anywise germane to his
      > imagination or his reasoning thought, has much to offer. It is slow
      > process, properly to hear such men, amid the chaos of modernity.
      > When I have any news, shall hope to offer it here.
      >
      > Louise

    • mary.jo11
      Message 275 of 275 , Jan 4, 2008
        Also, Fathers and Sons by Turgenev, and Todd Olivier's biography of
        Camus.