Nothing like the first weeks...

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2006
      After the first two weeks of the semester, you are reminded that the
      leading issues are: Facebook's new privacy policies, MySpace selling
      indie music, and the fact a visit from Bush really messes up traffic
      in a city with an already horrendous traffic flow.

      I asked my students how many watch the news... 2:22
      How many read a newspaper in print or online? 1:22
      How many know about Britney's new boy? 22:22

      I asked the students if any could name the two senators and the
      candidates for the current election.

      "I think the DFL (Democrat) is a woman. Oh, the Republic is a man."

      And so, when I asked them to analyze an editorial from the last 30
      days for a report on logic the selections were telling: "Anorexia
      still a problem" and "Crock Hunter will be missed." I asked if anyone
      considered a political column or editorial and was greeted with
      general disgust. "You said any editorial from the two local papers,
      Mr. Wyatt."

      Either it is really great that students have so few concerns... or it
      should trouble me. I teach third and fourth year students.

      It will be an interesting semester. At least the students are fun and
      easy-going.

      Philosophy? None have taken a course in it. Rhetoric? This is usually
      the one and only to meet a graduation requirement. History? Not
      required on the science campus. Art is required and so is a writing
      course. Beyond that, it is all science all the time. So much for the
      concept of a liberal education.