'two way mirror' is a misnomer

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      Sartre reasonably presented the problems of alterity. Others and
      selves refuse to define each other according to desired reflections.
      Part of this difficulty exists because there are chunks of
      information missing. In his play, No Exit, it appeared that argument,
      discussion, and confession didn't remedy this either. In fact, they
      made things worse. When the characters confessed and rationalized,
      all it accomplished was a reinforcement of their initial, unrational
      dislikes for each other. The characters became more entrenched in
      their refusal to reflect back to one another what they wanted to see.

      It might actually be a healthier, more ethical behavior, to walk away
      or disregard the gaze of others. (This is very difficult with more
      intimate relationships, such as family, friends, and lovers, in which
      there isn't much to guess about.) After leaving or disregarding, the
      only image you have to fool is in the mirror.

      You can make it real interesting. Take a hammer to it; pick up only
      one shard; look into each piece at a different time and set it aside.
      When you're finished (it might take awhile), reassemble all the
      pieces and attempt to objectively define yourself. Then if everyone
      had the courage, they could compare and discover that some pieces
      closely match someone else's or are nearly interchangeable. There are
      extremely rare moments, when we substantially reflect another's glass
      mosaic and wonder why it can't always be this way. But it won't; so
      what remains of our staring contest is either to slice at each other
      or find the glue. (Some are known to do both.) More glue, less glue.
      It's always our prerogative how to deal with the disparity.

      "Me, I'm waiting so patiently
      Lying on the floor
      I'm just trying to do this jig-saw puzzle
      Before it rains anymore"